Nian Zhang, PhD
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Research Interests: Dr. Zhang’s research interests include computational intelligence, machine learning, supervised and unsupervised learning, classification, clustering, and optimization, neurodynamic programming, and various application fields including big data science, time series prediction, biomedical engineering, and autonomous robot navigation.
Missouri University of Science & Technology | Computer Engineering | Ph.D.
Huazhong University of Science & Technology | Automatic Control | M.S.
Wuhan University of Technology | Electrical Engineering | B.S.
Honors and Awards:
- Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Research, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of the District of Columbia, 2016.
- Faculty Recognition Award for Excellence in Teaching, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of the District of Columbia, 2015.
- Faculty Recognition Award for Outstanding Student Mentoring and Scholarship, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of the District of Columbia, 2014.
- IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Associate Editor, 2016-present.
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, Associate Editor, 2018-present.
- Knowledge-based Systems (KBS), Associate Editor, 2019-present.
- Complex & Intelligent Systems, Editorial Board, 2020-present.
- Faculty advisor of the UDC team, Second Prize at the 2019 AMIE Design Challenge Competition, Washington, D.C.
- General Chair, 2018 ASEE Mid-Atlantic Spring Conference, University of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C.
- General Chair, 2016 IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS) Winter School, University of the District of Columbia, Washington, D.C.
- Steering Committee Member at the UDC’s STEM Center
- Program chair/special session chair/publications chair/publicity chair of over 30 IEEE sponsored international conferences.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Senior Member
- IEEE Computational Intelligence (CIS) Society, Member
- IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society (SMC) Society, Member
- Vice Chair of IEEE CIS Adaptive Dynamic Programming and Reinforcement Learning Technical Committee, 2017 – present
- Vice Chair of IEEE CIS Emergent Technologies Technical Committee (ETTC), 2019-present
- IEEE CIS Senior Members Committee, 2018-present
- IEEE CIS Neural Network Technical Committee (NNTC), Member, 2013-2016