Heidi Oliver-O’Gilvie, Ph.D.
Department of Education – Elementary Education- Literacy
Holiverfirstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: 202.274.6400
Dr. Heidi Oliver-O’Gilvie conducts qualitative research on the work, lives and experiences of urban learners guided by highly-effective practitioners. Some of her work is anchored in hip-hop, culturally relevant pedagogy and critical theory. In addition, she collaborates with colleagues in the field to craft manuscripts that include practical strategies for in-service practitioners. Dr. Oliver-O’Gilvie has taught in public and private elementary schools in Washington, DC and Maryland. She teaches courses on urban education, multicultural education, African American education, literacy, literacy methods, assessment, classroom management, curriculum analysis, and methods of elementary teaching in urban schools.
Career in Brief:
- Ph.D. – Curriculum and Instruction, Teacher Preparation and Professional Development – Literacy University of Maryland, College Park (2007)
- Assistant Professor – Elementary Education, University of the District of Columbia 2008– Present
- Adjunct Lecturer – Elementary Education , American University Spring 2005
- Adjunct Lecturer – Graduate Fellow Elementary Education , University of Maryland, College Park Fall 2003 – 2007
- Classroom Teacher – District of Columbia Public Schools and surrounding districts 1998- 2003