University of District of Columbia faculty Awarded AAUW American Fellowship

AAUW Logo

Program aims to tackle barriers women face in education 

WASHINGTON — The American Association of University Women (AAUW) has awarded its 2020–21 American Fellowship to Dr. Dhymsy Z. Vixamar-Owens. Dr. Vixamar-Owens is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of the District of Columbia. Read more…. Which can take them to rest of the press release below

“I’m extremely honored to receive this fellowship. It is exciting to know that AAUW recognizes the value of the work that I am passionate about!” said Dr. Vixamar-Owens. “This work is personal for me because I know too many young Black people diagnosed with what was once considered an “older generation” disease [diabetes]. This award provides me with an opportunity to share my work with hopes that it supports desperately needed community outreach and interventions. The academic gain is great, but ultimately, I would like to bridge the gap between research and practice, to serve my community.”

Through her research, Dr. Vixamar-Owens aspires to help reduce cultural disparities in health. With her present work on diabetes knowledge, risk awareness and self-management efficacy, she hopes to help garner support for much-needed diabetes prevention and intervention efforts specific to African American young women. “This American Fellowship award will provide me with the resources necessary to effectively contribute to community outreach and health equity through my scholarship. The support of AAUW is giving me a head start on my journey toward accomplishing my academic goals and career aspirations and being a community change agent” said Dr. Vixamar-Owens.

AAUW is one of the world’s leading supporters of graduate women’s education: Over the past 132 years, it has provided more than $115 million in fellowships, grants and awards to 13,000 women from 150 countries. AAUW is proud to be one of the nation’s largest educational funders for women of color.

For the 2020-21 academic year, AAUW is awarding a total of $3.5 million through seven fellowships and grants programs to more than 200 scholars, research projects and programs promoting education and equity for women and girls.

American Fellowships, AAUW’s largest funding program, began 1888, making them one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious fellowship programs exclusively for women. These fellowships support women scholars who are completing doctoral dissertations, conducting postdoctoral research or finishing research for publication.

“AAUW fellows and grantees have touched our society in immeasurable ways,” said Kim Churches, the chief executive officer of AAUW. “These innovators are breaking the mold in nontraditional fields and changing the face of leadership nationally and globally. AAUW is proud to support them with the resources they need to excel.”

Applications open August 1 each year. Deadlines vary by program. To find out more about this year’s exceptional class of awardees, visit the online directory.

###

The American Association of University Women (AAUW) empowers women and girls through research, education, and advocacy. Our nonpartisan, nonprofit organization has more than 170,000 members and supporters across the United States, as well as 1,000 local branches and more than 800 college and university members. Since AAUW’s founding in 1881, our members have examined and taken positions on the fundamental issues of the day — educational, social, economic, and political. AAUW’s fellowships and grants have helped scholars and activists overcome barriers to education and advancement for 132 years. AAUW’s free salary negotiation course has trained thousands of women to advocate for themselves.  Learn more and join us at www.aauw.org.

University of District of Columbia faculty Awarded AAUW American Fellowship image