A Message From President Edington

A Message From President Edington

A Message From President Edington

Welcome to the University of the District of Columbia, Firebirds!

Maurice D. Edington, Ph.D.UDC President

Photo courtesy of Lewis Johnson

It is an honor to lead UDC into its next growth phase. At my previous institution, I helped boost the reputation and status of the university in myriad ways: improving its national rankings as a public university and an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities), increasing student success outcomes and securing more than $12 million in research funding. I’m excited to translate that dedication to institutional excellence to UDC.

The future of UDC is bright. I plan to be a visible, engaged president focused on the students. I hope to have a strong presence in your lives, and I am excited to see and hear from you about what you need to feel supported this year.

I am driven by a commitment to serve that’s what gets me up in the morning and keeps me going through the day. I have spent my career as someone who keeps his head down and works hard to effect change. Working at UDC will allow me a broader platform to continue my mission to serve students and transform lives.

As you begin the fall semester, it’s my mission to provide you with an exceptional experience here at UDC, from student orientation to final exams.

Here are some of my top priorities:

• Enhancing the student experience. This includes supporting significant renovations already underway on campus and other amenities coming soon, such as adding dining options to the Student Center.
  • Boosting student recruitment, retention and academic success outcomes.
  • Increasing awareness of UDC’s brand. This includes expanding public and private partnerships and raising UDC’s rankings as a top public HBCU.
  • Expanding UDC’s role as an economic driver for the DC area.
  • Improving operational efficiency across the institution and support for students, faculty and staff.

As you embark on or continue your journey at UDC, I hope you find yourself at home here. We are One UDC, aligned in the common goal to make the University a truly student-centered, first-choice institution in our nation’s capital.

Maurice D. Edington, Ph.D.

UDC President