Li Chen, PhD
Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
Ph.D. University of Bedfordshire (Renamed from U of Luton, Luton, UK), 2001. Advisor: Dr. Osei Adjei. ( PhD Thesis: lambda-connectedness and its application to image segmentation, recognition, and reconstruction.)
MS of Computer Science, Utah State University (Logan, USA), 1995. Advisor: Dr. Don Cooley (MS Thesis: Possibility functions based fuzzy neural networks and their applications to image processing)
BS of Computer Science, Wuhan University (Wuhan, China), 1982. Advisor: Li Qrong-Zhang (BS Dissertation: Matrix representations of some combinatorial problems and their applications.)
Current Research Focus
- Discrete Geometry and Digital Geometry
- Data Science: Theory and Applications
- Applied Algorithm Design
- Advanced Algorithm Analysis
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Special Topics: Advanced Algorithms in Data Science
- Computational Geometry
- Senior Projects
- Senior Seminar
- L. Chen, Z. Su, B. Jiang, Mathematical Problems in Data Science, Springer, 2015,
- L. Chen, Digital and Discrete Geometry: Theory and algorithms, (Monograph and secondary text book), Springer, 2014, (http://www.springer.com/computer/image+processing/book/978-3-319-12098-0). Errata.
- L. Chen, Digital Functions and Data Reconstruction, Springer, 2013.
- L. Chen, Discrete Surfaces and Manifolds, June 2004.
- C. E. Concolato, L. Chen, Data Science: A New Paradigm in the Age of Big-Data Science and Analytics, New Mathematics and Natural Computation Vol. 13, No. 02, pp. 119-143 (2017).
- L. Chen, A Digital-Discrete Method For Smooth-Continuous Data Reconstruction Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences, Vol 96, No 2, 2010, pp 47-65. (ISSN 0043-0439).
- L. Chen, and Y. Rong, Digital topological method for computing genus and the Betti numbers, Topology and its Applications, Volume 157, Issue 12, 2010, Pages 1931-1936 .
- L. Chen, and B. Fu, Linear and sublinear time algorithms for the basis of Abelian groups, Theoretical Computer Science, 2010.
- C-T Lu, Y. Kou, J. Zhao, and L. Chen, Detecting and Tracking Region Outliers in Meteorological Data, Information Sciences, Vol 177, pp1609-1632, 2007. (Chen was the communication author.)
- G. Agnarsson and Chen, On the extension of vertex maps to graph homomorphisms, Discrete Mathematics, Vol 306, No 17, pp 2021-2030, Sept. 2006.
Dr. Chen was appointed as a Distinguished ACM Speaker in Oct. 2015 for three years.