Freshman Book Series
The Freshman book selected for the Class of 2023 is THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas
The Freshman Book Series
- To provide a common intellectual experience for incoming students, as well as participating members of the faculty and staff.
- To provide an opportunity for students to meet and interact with a member of the University faculty or staff in an informal discussion, outside the boundaries of the classroom and formal academic requirements.
- To introduce students to the spirit of inquiry and debate that is integral to the University academic community.
The Freshman book is an interesting and stimulating read embedded in the Freshman Experience at the University of the District of Columbia. We invite you to read the book during the semester and participate in robust discussions in and out of the classroom. Explore the themes in your mind. What do you think? What are your opinions? What would you like to ask your new classmates or professors?
We urge you to approach the Book Series discussions in the spirit of openness and the delight of discovery. This is a unique and valuable opportunity to challenge yourself, share your ideas, learn about different viewpoints and meet and engage in dialogue with your classmates and a university faculty member or other member of the university community. There are no right or wrong answers, diverse viewpoints and perspectives will be encouraged and respected. The more involved you choose to be, the more you will take away from this experience.
Previous Book include:
- 2019-20 THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas
- 2018-19 Barracoon: The Story of the Last” Black Cargo” by Zora Neal Hurston
- 2017-18 The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore
- 2016-17 FLawd by Emily-Ann Rigal and Jeanne Demers