Speech-Language Pathology: The UDC Edge
Experience | Commitment | Students First
The Master of Science degree program in Speech-Language Pathology requires two years of full-time study (including summer) to complete for students entering with a background in the discipline. Students entering without an undergraduate degree in a related field will require additional semesters of study. In such cases, program duration will be determined by prerequisite course requirements.
Requirements for admission into the program include:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution. An undergraduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology is preferred.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4-point scale.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the student’s academic performance.
- An interview with Program faculty.
Requirements for Program completion include:
- 57 credit hours. This does not include hours for prerequisite coursework.
- A minimum of 400 clock hours, including 25 observation hours, 375 supervised practicum hours. At least 325 hours must be completed at the graduate level.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours of clinical practicum.
- A minimum of two external clinical practicum placements.
- Students will be required to show coursework that covers basic physics or chemistry knowledge to meet the basic physical science requirement. (ASHA certification requirement) Certification Standards Have Changed for 2020 (asha.org)
- Students are also required to show coursework that covers Biological Sciences, Statistics, Social Sciences, and Behavioral Sciences. Complete descriptions can be found at (https://www.asha.org/certification/course-content-areas-for-slp-standards/)
Requirements for Clinical Certification:
A complete description of the requirements for clinical certification, including the above-outlined program requirements, can be found at www.asha.org/certification/slpcertification/
Requirements for State Licensing:
A complete description of the requirements for speech-language pathology licensure in the District of Columbia is available at https://doh.dc.gov/node/145912. District of Columbia Public Schools Speech-Language Pathology credentialing information can be found at https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/DC/DCteachrequire/ State-by-State licensure requirement can be found at https://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/.