Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring to University Health Services (UHS) for my visit?

Bring your:
1.  Insurance card (We see all students regardless of their type insurance.)
2.  Student ID
3.  Medical/surgical history, medications and allergy history.

What methods of payment are accepted at the UHS?

UHS does not collect any payments from students. Students with the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) are covered for 100% of the visit at UHS. If a student with the SHIP is seen by another provider off campus or a specialist, applicable co-pays and deductibles may apply. Please see the SHIP benefits booklet or website for details.

Why should students have health insurance?

Health care expenses such as those associated with unexpected illness, accidents, or mental health care can destabilize a student's financial situation and derail his/her progress toward a degree. These potential barriers to attendance and degree completion are reduced when students have health insurance. Conversely, students without health insurance who do not have access to needed acute, urgent, specialty care or hospitalization may attempt to continue their academic pursuits but fail to reach their full potential due to their untreated illness.

What if I do not have insurance?

All students currently enrolled in the University system are required to have adequate health insurance coverage. You may qualify for health insurance coverage in several ways. Students under age 26 are eligible for coverage on their parents' health plan. All adults may qualify for insurance at a cost based on their income and family size. To see which health plan benefits you may qualify for please visit

How much will my visit cost?

Typical UHS visits without any off-campus diagnostic procedures, labs, or x-ray services are FREE. Prescriptions written to students by the UHS providers are the financial responsibility of the student and can be filled at any community pharmacy (e.g., CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid). UHS maintains a very limited number of medications for in-house dispensing.

If you bill my insurance, will I have to pay anything...

If you bill my insurance, will I have to pay anything for care I receive at UHS?

Currently we only bill the SHIP for services rendered at UHS. You will only be responsible for any non-covered charges associated with your visit. Non-covered charges are usually not incurred at UHS.

I am covered by private health insurance. Will the ...

I am covered by private health insurance. Will the University Health Services (UHS) accept my insurance?

The UHS is currently unable to bill any private insurance plans for office visits and covered medical services provided in our facility, however students are welcome to receive our services at no expense for their visit.  We cannot bill Medicare, Medicaid, Kaiser Permanente, or TRICARE. If you are a student insured by a private insurance, medicare, Medicaid, or other health plan, you should contact your plan in advance to locate service providers they will cover for your care.  You are welcome to visit UHS for any acute or urgent health issues.

What is the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?

SHIP is an insurance policy specially designed to cover the University Systems of the District of Columbia at a reasonable cost.  Students can also enroll their spouse and/or dependents (under age 26) for an additional charge. Visit for cost and coverage details.

Are UHS providers considered "preferred providers" with any insurance plans?

No. The UHS providers are currently in the process of seeking contracted relationships with the major PPO and HMO insurance plans. Please check back with us in the near future.

If UHS is not a participating or "preferred provider" (i.e. in-network) with my...

If UHS is not a participating or "preferred provider" (i.e. in-network) with my plan, can I still be seen at UHS for health care?

Yes, however, we cannot bill private insurance plans or government insurance programs, such as Medicaid, Medicare and TRICARE. The student is NOT charged for the visit.

I belong to an HMO. Can I use the Health Center?

Any student can use the Health Center.  If you belong to a private insurance (HMO, PPO, etc) or government plan , you should contact your plan in advance to locate service providers they will cover for your primary care and specialty care needs.

What happens if I need to see a specialist?

If you are referred for treatment or services outside of UHS, we will identify specialists or facilities within your insurance network whenever possible. Your insurance plan may cover all, part, or none of the costs associated with such services. You will be responsible for all costs incurred.

What information may be sent home concerning my UHS visit?

If the services are billed to your insurance, a specific explanation of benefits (EOB) will be sent to the policy holder by the insurance plan. The EOB may contain the date of visit and list the services provided.  Currently only the SHIP is billed for services.

What if my insurance information changes?

It is your responsibility to let us know immediately if your insurance coverage changes. If you do not notify us of any changes, you may be charged the following Fall semester for the SHIP. New students (including readmit and transfer students) are required to enroll or waive the SHIP the semester by the posted deadline. Continuing students are required to enroll or waive the SHIP by the posted deadline once in the school year – Fall term. Charges for the SHIP will be billed to your student account.

Can I use my prescription plan at UHS?

UHS does not have an onsite pharmacy. Prescriptions written by UHS providers may be submitted to any community pharmacy.  Many community pharmacies may accept your prescription plan. The Pharmacy staff can advise you if your plan is accepted. Prescription co-pay costs may vary according to your plan's benefit.

What are the immunization requirements?

Please review the immunization and other public health requirements here.

Where do I find my immunization records?

Check for your immunization records at any school you have attended or with your doctor's office.

What if I don't have access to my immunization records?

If you cannot locate your immunization records, you will need to receive the required vaccines again. Immunizations may be obtained at University Health Services (fees may be assessed at your expense). If you are certain you have been vaccinated for measles, mumps and rubella, varicella, hepatitis B, you can ask your physician to do a titer (blood test) to prove your immunity.

What can I do if I'm unable to complete the immunization requirements ...

What can I do if I'm unable to complete the immunization requirements prior to arriving at UDC?

We expect students to meet immunization requirements before arrival at UDC. When this is not possible, students must complete their requirements or begin receiving an immunization series prior to being cleared to register for classes. Immunizations may be given by UHS; however, fees may be assessed for these services. For more information about the required immunizations and fees, and to schedule an appointment, call University Health Services at 202.274.5030.

What should I do if my immunization records are not in English?

Please have your records translated by your health care provider and be sure to have them sign the translated document before submitting to us.

How do I obtain or release information from my health record at UHS?

To obtain, disclose, or discuss your health information on record at University Health Services you will first need to complete a form entitled Authorization for Release of Health Records. If you have any questions please contact the University Health Services at 202-274-5030.

Are there mechanisms for getting an exemption from the immunization requirements?

Immunization requirements are in place to protect the health of the community. Therefore, very few exemptions are allowed by DC Public Health Law. At present, the following two exemptions may be pursued:

1. Medical exemption: The student's physician must provide a written statement of exemption, specifying which of the immunization products should not be administered, the reason, and how long the medical contraindication will last. Click here for medical exemption form.

2. Religious exemption: In order to qualify for a religious exemption: a student under 18 years old must submit a written statement signed and notarized by his/her parent(s) or guardian stating that they hold religious beliefs contrary to the practice of immunization. (A students 18 years old or older must submit such a notarized statement themselves to qualify for religious exemption). Click here for religious exemption form.

Statements must describe the beliefs in sufficient detail to permit the institution to determine 1) the beliefs are religious in nature (not philosophical*), and 2) the beliefs are sincerely and genuinely held. Prior religious exemption statements addressed to other institutions are not considered valid.

* Public Health Law does not allow for philosophical exemptions.

IMPORTANT: Should you choose either form of exemption (medical or religious), please note that - by law - in the event of an outbreak of measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, meningitis on an UDC campus or other operated facilities, you will be required to leave campus (even if you live in a UDC housing, residence hall or apartment) and will not be permitted to attend classes or any other campus activity until the DC Department of Health has declared it safe for you to return to campus. Your own assessment of the risk your presence on campus might pose to you or others will not factor in their decision.

Health Services

A Division Student Development & Success

Building 44, Room A-40
phone 202.274.5030
fax 202.274.5411 (Confidential Faxes)

Office Hours
Fall, Spring & Summer
Mon - Fri: 8:30am - 5pm
Wed: 8:30am - 6pm