Message From Maurice: My New Year’s Resolutions for 2024

President Edington with nursing students at the 2023 Pinning Ceremony

January 19, 2024

Dear Firebird Community,

Happy New Year! I hope you all relished the opportunity for an end-of-year break and maybe even found a little time to write a few resolutions for 2024.

While you were away (in addition to greatly missing our students), I settled on a few resolutions of my own. Each of these is a component of the vision outlined in our new UDC Strategic Plan, rolling out this semester to the University community. And each not only elevates what we offer our students but also elevates our profile as we look to become a leading national public urban university.

First, in 2024 I will remain committed to cultivating excellence in student achievement. This includes allocating additional resources to enhance and expand academic support services as well as promoting our high-ranking academic programs, our research opportunities with entities such as NASA and the National Science Foundation, and the sought-after internships, fellowships and careers (such as nursing, spotlighted above at our recent UDC nursing pinning ceremony) our students pursue during and after their time at UDC.

Second, I will dedicate myself to ensuring that our UDC programs are strongly aligned with local workforce needs. To support this effort, we will expand our partnerships with the business community, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations. This is already happening in many ways across our University, including with PHIT4DC – preparing a new slate of public health professionals – and our Grow Your Own program, training District residents to serve in DC public schools.

Third, I will look for new ways the University can deliver impactful service to the community, and expand on its existing outreach efforts. These include offering experiential learning opportunities for students at Anacostia High School, combating food insecurity with fresh produce from Firebird Farm and our urban food hubs, and providing free public health screenings for community members.

As we honored Martin Luther King Jr. earlier this week, I found myself reflecting on Dr. King’s tireless efforts as an advocate for social justice. UDC is a proud HBCU and has a rich legacy of promoting social justice – from our roots as an antebellum-era teaching school for Black women to the myriad ways our recent alums effect change in their local community. Addressing injustices and inequities is work that is never done and to which UDC will always be committed.

Firebirds, we have so many past contributions to celebrate, and so many future dreams yet to realize. Let’s work together to make 2024 the best year yet for you and the University. Get fired up!

In service,
Dr. Maurice D. Edington Signature
Maurice D. Edington, Ph.D.
President
University of the District of Columbia

Contact Information

Maurice D. Edington, Ph.D.
President
maurice.edington@udc.edu

Dr. Kelly McMurray
Chief of Staff/Sr. Vice President
kelly.mcmurray@udc.edu

University of the District of Columbia
4200 Connecticut Ave. NW, Building 39, Room 301A
WashingtonDC 20008-1122

Phone: 202.274.6016

Follow President Edington

• Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Twitter X logo