Page Header Image

Office of the Registrar

Main Office: Bldg 39, A Level | phone 202.274.6200 | fax 202.274.7445

Office Hours: 8:30–5:00 Mon - Fri

Fall Semester 2016 – Mark Your Calendars!
9/9 Last Day to Apply for Fall 2016 Degree
11/1 - 12/23 Continuing Students Online Registration for Spring 2017
11/4 Last Day to Withdraw from Classes without Academic Penalty
12/7Last Day of Classes and Last Day to Effect a Total Withdrawal

Online Course Guide - Fall 2013

Community College, Four-Year and Graduate Offerings

Please read the important information which follows from the Table of Contents and then visit our online, searchable database for the most up-to-date Course Listings. The information on this web page is also available via our printable Course Guide PDF.

Disclaimer: The University will make every effort to offer all courses and sections shown on the website. However, the University reserves the right to cancel or make changes to courses for insufficient enrollment or as other compelling circumstances warrant.

Table of Contents

(Click the links below to jump to the appropriate section)

Academic Advisors
Academic Calendar
Academic Degree Offerings
Academic Good Standing
Add/Drop Procedures
Admission Requirements
Application for Graduation
Auditing Courses
Campus Map
Change of Information
Colleges & Departments Locations
Community College/Flagship Cross Registration
Concurrent Enrollment
Consortium of Universities
Continuing Education
Continuing Students Registration Procedures
Counseling and Student Development
Course Cancellations/Changes
Course Listings
Courseload Limitations (UG)
Credit by Examination
Declaration and Change of Major
Departmental Chairperson Contact Information
Disability Resource Center
Drug & Alcohol Abuse Policy
EEO Policy
English as a Second Language
Final Exam Schedule
Final Steps for All Students
Financial Aid
Full-time/Part-time Status
Holds and Bars
Learning Resources Division
Max Course Loads
Paying for Classes
Payment of Tuition and Fees
Payment Options
Refund and Return of Title IV Funds
Refund Policy
Registration Locations
Repeat a Course
Residency Requirements
Senior Citizens
Special Requests
Student Health Coverage
Textbook Information
Trial Schedule Form
Tuition & Fees Schedule
Useful Telephone Numbers

Student Email Accounts

All students have email accounts established when they register for one or more classes at the University of the District of Columbia. This email account will be used by faculty to contact students enrolled in their classes and for college staff to inform students of important announcements. Student email accounts are web-based and can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection.

The format of the email address is Occasionally, we have students sharing the same username. When this happens, the username (firstname.lastname) is suffixed with a number like: firstname.lastname2 or firstname.lastname3. The username portion of the email address can be used to access Blackboard and Wireless connections.

Once issued, email accounts must be activated by the student. For detailed instructions on how to retrieve and activate your student email and access your account, please visit

To access the email, please visit The username is and the initial password is your student ID number.

If you need assistance with your email, please visit the Help Desk in Building 41, A-Level or send an email to

Useful Telephone Numbers

Academic Advising Center202.274.6899 Health Insurance202.274.5350
Academic Support Center (Tutoring)202.274.6899 Health Services202.274.5030
Admissions - Undergrad202.274.6110 Information202.274.5050
Admissions - Graduate202.274.6110 Land-Grant Activities202.274.7124
Admissions - Law School202.274.7341 Law School202.274.7400
Agricultural Experiment Station202.274.7137 Library202.274.6370
Alumni Affairs202.274.5117 Lost & Found202.274.5050
Athletics200.274.5024 New Student Orientation202.274.5900
Blackboard 9.1202.274.6628 Parking202.274.5159
Bookstore202.274.5110 Provost and VP for Academic Affairs202.274.5072
Cable Television202.274.5300 Registrar202.274.6200
Campus Police202.274.5050 Special Events202.274.5824
Career Services202.274.6413 Speech & Hearing Clinic202.274.6161
Cashier202.274.5112 Student Accounts202.274.5168
Child Development Center202.274.5213 Student Life & Services202.274.5900
Community College202.274.5800 Student Affairs202.274.5210
Computer Center202.274.5500 Student Employment202.274.6092
Continuing Education202.274.7100 Testing Center202.274.6063
Cooperative Extension Service202.274.7115 Trilogy Student Newspaper202.274.5574
Counseling Services202.274.6000 Undergrad Student Government202.274.5190
Financial Aid202.274.5060 Veterans Affairs202.274.6099
Gerontology202.274.6593 Water Resources Research Institute202.274.5273
Graduate Student Government202.274.6121 Workforce Development202.274.6999

Back to Top

Admission Requirements

Continuing Education

Continuing Education at the Community College has more than a thousand online and affordable classes right now and will soon be offering live classes in professional development, liberal arts, leisure and recreation, and public service and nonprofit management.

Visit for more information.

Community College

Effective fall semester 2009, students pursuing associate degrees or certificate programs (listed below) will be admitted to the open admissions, Community College (CC). The requirements are:

  • Official high school transcript or official GED results
  • Placement test—ACCUPLACER (administered by the Testing Office)

For information about our Community College programs, visit


Effective fall semester 2011, students pursuing baccalaureate degrees will be eligible for admission to the University, if one of the following admission requirements* is met:

  • 2.5 GPA and 1200 SAT/16 ACT score or
  • 2.0 GPA and 1400 SAT/19 ACT score

Students who do not meet the above requirements may "test in" by achieving required minimum scores on the ACCUPLACER examination subtests: 78 (reading), 86 (English) and 85 (mathematics). International students who are non-native speakers of English must also take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and achieve minimum scores of 550 on the written test, 213 on the computerized test, or 79 on the Internet test.

* These minimum requirements do not preclude the additional requirements established by the respective degree programs.

For information about our University undergraduate and graduate programs and majors, visit

Back to Top

Department Chairpersons and Locations

Community College

Dr. Calvin Woodland, Interim Chief Executive Officer
202.274.7177, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Suite 514

Dr. Jacqueline S. Jackson, Dean of Academic Affairs
202.274.5800, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Suite 321

Dr. H. Pearl Peters, Dean of Student Achievement
202.274.5800, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Suite 225

Kim Ford, Acting Dean of Workforce Development and Lifelong Learning
202.274.7181, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Suite 329

Laurence Covington, Program Coordinator for English, World Languages, ESL
202.274.5119, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Room 409

Prof. John Griffin, Faculty Program Coordinator for Math and Engineering
202.274.5800, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Room 407

Prof. Susie Cato, Faculty Program Coordinator and Director of Nursing for AAS Nursing Program
202.274.5914, 801 N. Capitol St., NE, Room 812

Prof. Donald Steinert, Faculty Coordinator, Program Director AAS Respiratory Therapy Program
202.274.5864, 801 North Capitol Street, NE, Room 904

Dr. Vincent Hill, Faculty Coordinator, Program Director AAS Mortuary Science Program
202.274.5858, Building 44, Room 200-28

Prof. Steve Madkins, Faculty Program Coordinator for Graphic Communication Technology and Early Childhood Education
202.274.7368, 801 N. Capitol St. NE, Room 521

College of Agriculture, Urban Sustainability and Environmental Sciences

Dr. Sabine O'Hara, Dean
202.274.7011, Building 44, Room 109

Professor Elgloria Harrison, Assistant to the Dean for Academic Programs
202.274.6940, Bldg. 44, Room 200-24

Professor William Hare, Associate Dean for Land Grant Programs
202.274. 7133, Bldg. 44, Room 200-23

Diane Hyman, Associate Dean for Operations
202.274.7137, Bldg. 44, Room 102

Academic Programs

Nutrition and Dietetics
Prema Ganganna, PhD, Program Director
202.274.5516, Bldg. 44, Room 200-02

Architecture and Urban Design
Ralph Belton, PhD, Program Director
202.274.5243, Bldg. 32, Room 104-6

Environmental Science and Urban Sustainability

Nursing (RN to BSN)
Pier Bradnax, PhD, Program Director
202.274.5916, Bldg. 44, Room 104A

Health Education
John Slack, EdD, Program Director
202.274.5324, Bldg. 47, Room A31

Land Grand Programs

Center for Urban Agriculture and Gardening Education

Sustainable Development

Water Resources Research Institute
Tolessa Deksissa, PhD
202.274.5273, Blg. 42, Room 215

Center for Nutrition Diet and Health
Lillie Monroe-Lord, PhD
202.274.7125, Bldg. 44, Room 200-01

Institute of Gerontology
Laurie Thompson
202. 274. 6659, Bldg. 32, Room 203B

Center for 4-H and Youth Development
Rebecca Bankhead
202.274.7081, Bldg. 44, Room 103

College of Arts and Sciences

Dr. April Massey, Acting Dean
Wilma Thompson, Office Manager
202.274.5194, Building 41, Suite 405-01

Department of Biology, Chemistry, & Physics
Dr. Deepak Kumar, Chairperson
Lisa Sutton, Office Staff
202.274.7401, Bldg. 44, Room 103
Programs: Biology, Cancer Biology, Chemistry
Degrees: Biology (BS), Cancer Biology (MS), Chemistry (BS)

Department of Criminal Justice, Sociology, & Social Work
Dr. Sylvia Hill, Chairperson
Francis Witherspoon, Office Staff
202.274.5007, Bldg. 41, Room 413-06
Programs: Criminal Justice, Sociology, Social Work
Degrees: Criminal Justice (BS), Sociology (BS), Social Work (BS)

Department of Communications
Professor Maxine LeGall, Chairperson
Veronica Dabney, Office Staff
202.274.7408, Bldg. 42, Room B14
Programs: Mass Media
Degrees: Mass Media (BA)

Department of Education
Dr. Lena Walton, Chairperson
Mildred Shannon, Office Staff
202.274.7404, Bldg. 38, Room 109
Degrees: Special Education (BA), Elementary Education (BA), Early Childhood Education (BA)

Department of English, World Languages & Cultures
Dr. Chester W. Wright, Chairperson
Charlene Ridley, Office Staff
202.274.5137, Bldg. 41, Room 400-06
Programs: English
Degrees: English (BA)

Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Dr. Vernise Steadman, Chairperson
202.274.5153, Bldg. 32, Room B01-01
Programs: Mathematics, Applied Statistics
Degrees: Mathematics (BS), Applied Statistics (MS)

Center for Urban Education
Dr. Mary Dilworth, Director
202.274.6166, Bldg. 38, Room 105

Department of Political Science, History, & Global Studies
Dr. Shiela Harmon Martin, Chairperson
202.274.7403, Bldg. 41, Room 413-07
Programs: Political Science, History, Philosophy, Geography
Degrees: Political Science (BS), History (BS)

Department of Psychology, Counseling & Human Development
Dr. Benson Cooke, Chairperson
202.274.7406, Bldg. 44, Room 200-34
Programs: Psychology, Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, Human Development
Degrees: Psychology (BS), Counseling (MS), Human Development (BA)

Department of Visual & Performing Arts
Dr. Judith Korey, Acting Chairperson
202.274.7402, Bldg. 42, Room B14
Programs: Studio Art, Music, Theatre, Graphic Design
Degrees: Graphic Communications (BS), Theatre Arts (BA), Graphic Design (BFA), Music (BM)

School of Business and Public Administration

Dr. Sandra G. Yates, Dean
202.274.7000, Bldg. 38, Room 316

Department of Accounting, Finance & Economics
Dr. Tarsaim Goyal, Chairperson
202.274.7002, Bldg. 38, Room 122

Department of Management, Marketing, and Management Information Systems
Dr. Hany Makhlouf, Chairperson
202.274.7001, Bldg. 38, Room 220

Department of Public Administration
202.274.6510, Bldg. 38, Room 220

School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Dr. Devdas Shetty, Dean
202.274.5220, Building 42, Room 212

Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
Dr. Samuel Lakeou, (Acting) Assistant Dean & Chairperson
202.274.5039, Building 42, Room 213

Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
Dr. Byunggu Yu, Chairperson
202.274.6289, Building 42, Room 112

Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Dr. Samuel Lakeou, (Acting) Assistant Dean & Chairperson
202.274.5834, Building 42, Room 109

Graduate Program Directory

Dr. Philicia Jefferson
MS in Counseling | 202.274.5439

Dr. Valbona Bejleri
MS in Applied Statistics | 202.274.5771

Dr. Carolyn Cousin
MS in Cancer Biology, Prevention and Control | 202.274.5874

Dr. Jan Blancato (co-director, Georgetown Univ.)
MS in Cancer Biology Prevention and Control | 202.444.1536

Dr. Prema Ganganna
MS in Nutrition and Dietetics | 202.274.5516

Dr. Arlene King-Berry
MA in Special Education | 202.274.5973

Dr. Wanda Colston, Director
MS in Speech Language Pathology-Clinical | 202.274.5325

Dr. Lily Liang
MS in Computer Science | 202.274.5086

Dr. Wagdy Mahmoud
MS in Electrical Engineering | 202.274.5239

Dr. Chigbo Ofong
MBA—Master of Business Administration, MPA—Master of Public Administration | 202.274.7037

Prof. Clarence Pearson
MArch—Master of Architecture | 202.274.5057

Dr. Tolessa Deksissa
PSM in Water Resource Management | 202.274.5273

Back to Top

Academic Advisors

Community College (all students): 801 N. Capitol St., NE
Flagship (freshmen/sophomores/undeclared/special students): Bldg. 32, Rm B-104 (Special students, please call the Academic Advising Center at 202.274.6899.)
Juniors and seniors with declared majors: Academic departments
Non degree graduate students: Academic chairperson

Visit the UDC Academic Advising Center web page for information the Advising Center.
Visit the Community College Academic Advisor web page for information about our UDC-CC advisors.

School of Business and Public Administration Academic Advisors

Academic Advising Center, Administration Building 39, Room 106

Accounting Majors
A- H Prof. Donald
I–Z Prof. Errol
CIS Majors
A–L Dr. Jian
M–Z Prof. Judy
Economics Majors
A–H Dr. Muhammad
I–Z Dr. Sharron
Finance Majors
A–Z Prof. Peter
Management and Office Administration Majors
U–Z Dr. Paul
P–T Dr. Minnette
K–O Dr. Deborah
FS* Prof. Judy
F–J Dr. Michael
TS* Dr. Sandra
A–E&G* Dr. Hany
Marketing Majors
M–Z Dr. Nikolai
A–L Dr. Leslie
Master of Business Administration Majors
A–Z Dr. Chigbo
Master of Public Administration Majors
A–Z Dr. Julius
Procurement/Public Contracting Majors
A–Z Dr. William
A–I Dr. Jian
J–Q Prof. Judy
R–Z Dr. Meena

* TS = Transfer Students
FS = Freshman & Sophomores
&G = & Graduating Seniors

College of Agriculture, Urban Sustainability and Environmental Sciences Academic Advisors

Nutrition and Food Science Program (BS)
Nutrition and Dietetics (MS)
Dr. Prema Gangana202.274.5516, Bdlg 44, Rm
Dr. B. Michelle Harris202.274.5739, Bldg 44, Rm
Prof. Barbara Harvey202.274.5467, Bldg 44, Rm
Environmental Science & Sustainability Program
Dr. Mohamed Elhelu202.274.5932, Bldg 44, Rm
Dr. Thomas Kakovitch202.274.5465, Bldg 44, Rm
Professional Science Masters Program
Dr. Tolessa Deksissa202.274.5273, Bldg 42, Rm 111/
Architecture and Urban Design Program
Clarence Pearson202.274.5238, Bldg 32, Rm
Ralph Belton202.274.5243, Bldg 32, Rm
Nursing Program (RN to BSN)
Dr. Pier Broadnax, Director of Nursing202.274.5915, Bldg 44, Rm
Dr. Connie Webster202.274.5899, Bldg 44, Rm
Professor Elmira Asongwed202.274.5909, Bldg 44, Rm
Professor Anne Marie Jean-Baptiste202.274.5942, Bldg 44, Rm
Health Education Program (Public Health Track)
Dr. John Slack, Program Director202.274.5324, Bldg 44, Rm
Dr. Wilmer Johnson202.274.6266, Bldg 47, Rm
Professor Bessie Stockard202.274.5076, Bldg 47, Rm

School of Engineering and Applied Science Academic Advisors

Computer Science
Dr. Byunggu Yu, Chair202.274.6289, Bdlg 42, Rm
Dr. Li Chen202.274.6301, Bldg 42, Rm
Prof. Gail Finley202.274.6271, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Lily Liang202.274.5086, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Sherali Zeadally202.274.6292 ,Bldg 42, Rm
Information Technology
Dr. David Barnett202.274.6279, Bldg 42, Rm
Civil Engineering
Dr. Pradeep Behera202.274.6186, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Inder Bhambri202.274.6327, Bldg 42, Rm
Prof. Manickam Chettiar202.274.5035, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Ahmet Zeytinci202.274.6291, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Kunhee Choi202.274.6664, Bldg 42, Rm
Mechanical Engineering
Dr. A. Segun Adebayo, Chair202.274.5039, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Keyvan Ahdut202.274.5048, Bldg 42, Rm
Prof. Calvin Brooks202.274.5045, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Pathickal Poulose202.274.5046, Bldg 42, Rm
Electrical Engineering
Dr. Tarak Bhar202.274.5836, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Paul Cotae202.274.6290, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Sasan Haghani202.274.6595, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Wagdy Mahmoud202.274.5239, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Esther T. Ososanya202.274.5837, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Nian Zhang202.274.6615, Bldg 42, Rm
Dr. Samuel Lakeou202.274.5834, Bldg 42, Rm

Back to Top

Accuplacer (Basic Skills Assessment Test)

All students admitted to the Community College, students whose primary language is not English and students readmitted to the University who have not received a passing grade in one college level mathematics and one college level English course are required to take the computerized ACCUPLACER Test prior to meeting with an academic advisor and registering for courses. If you have not taken the ACCUPLACER Test, please report to 801 North Capitol St. NE to schedule your test. You must present proper identification at the time of the test. Your test score results will be available upon completion of the test. Transfer students admitted to the University must meet minimum GPA and SAT/ACT requirements.

Back to Top

Continuing Students Registration Procedures for Fall 2013

April 1-12, all students must see their academic advisor to discuss their program of study, and to have the Advisor's Hold released.

April 1- August 23 you will be able to register for classes directly in myUDC (, our online portal.

In order to register you must have a UDC email account and password. You will need this information to log in. Don't have your UDC email yet? Email your request to the IT Help Desk at from a personal email account (include your Banner student ID number) or visit Bldg. 41, A-level.

All students must satisfy prior tuition and fees obligations before they can register for classes.

Check your Student Account in the myUDC portal.

After completing online registration, there will be a pay online option that will direct you to the secure payment page.

Be sure to meet with your academic advisor regarding the registration process.

Questions? Email the IT Help Desk at, call 202.274.5941, or visit Bldg. 41, A-level.

Back to Top

Tuition & Fees

Community College - Current Students: please visit
Community College - New Students: please visit
University: please visit

Back to Top


Tuition and fees are due and payable at the time of registration. If tuition and fees are not paid by the close of business the day of registration, courses may be dropped.

Paying for Class

You are able to pay for your classes online. Once you have completed your registration for classes, there will be a "Pay Online" button, which will direct you to the secured payment site. (If an ID and password are requested, please use your Banner ID and password to log into the payment site.) No need to stand in the financial aid line! Enjoy the flexibility of online access! If you are eligible for financial aid and funds have not posted, report to the Office of Financial Aid.

Payment Options

  1. Tuition and fees are due and payable at the time of registration; if tuition and fees are not paid by the close of business the day of registration, courses will be dropped.
  2. Tuition and fees may be paid by cash, certified check, money order, credit card (MasterCard, Visa or Discover only) or personal check, provided you have not presented an uncollectible check to the University in the past and the check signer presents a photo ID.
  3. Deferred payments are available for the following students:
    1. Students who have training forms or agreements from a sponsor,
      organization or employer requesting later billing from the University
      (i.e., agency billing)
    2. Students who have been approved to receive financial aid and have
      estimated award amounts on printout provided by advisors
    Students registering with estimated financial aid awards will be responsible for the payment of bills if awards are not approved.
  4. Tuition may be remitted for all full-time employees of the University and their spouses and dependent children. Contact the Office of Human Resources for details and the Request for Remitted Tuition form.

Other Information

Personal checks for payment of prior balances will be accepted. However, until the check has cleared the bank for payment, there will be a five-day delay for further services.

Classes will be immediately dropped upon notification from the bank of all stopped check payments and closed accounts. You have five days from the day of presentation of returned checks to make the payment good. The University will not notify you.

Late registration requires a $150.00 late fee. Retain all receipts as confirmation of payments.

Payment Locations

Van Ness Campus – Building 39, Cashier's Office

Tuition and fees can be paid in cash or by certified or personal check, money order, credit cards (MasterCard, Visa and Discover only), official agency deferment letter or purchase voucher. Financial aid recipients should have their awards on file. Students registering with estimated financial aid awards will be responsible for payment of tuition and fees if their awards are not finalized at the time of registration.

Continuing students who register online can also pay online by using credit card payment (MasterCard, Visa and Discover only). Note: When paying online, you must pay your tuition and bill in full; no partial payment can be made. Failure to pay on the day that you register will result in the cancellation of your classes. (Exception: continuing students registration period.)

Refund Policy

Refund applies to tuition only. Fees are nonrefundable.

Withdrawal through Week 1 100%
Withdrawal through Week 2 80%
Withdrawal through Week 3 60%
Withdrawal through Week 4 40%
Withdrawal through Week 5 20%

There is no refund after week 5.

Back to Top

Holds and Bars

Administration Bldg.
A Level
English as a Second Language
Bldg. 41, Level 5
Administration Bldg.
A Level
Advisor Holds
Report to your academic
advisor, listed above.
Financial Aid
Administration Bldg.
A Level
Student Accounts
Administration Bldg.
A Level
Cashier's Office
Bldg. 39, Rm. 201
Health Services
Bldg. 44, Rm. A-12

Back to Top

Registration Locations

Community College Students
Report to 801 North Capitol St. NE.

University Students
Report to the Academic Advising Center, Bldg. 32, Rm B-104.

Graduate Students
Report to the appropriate academic department.

Back to Top

Maximum Course Loads

Undergraduate Students:
18 semester hours. Undergraduate students on academic probation are limited to 9 semester hours or less.

Graduate Students:
12 semester hours. Graduate students on academic probation are limited to 6 semester hours or less.

Back to Top

Final Steps for all Students:

  1. Visit on any computer to find out information regarding the University health insurance plan or complete the Online Waiver form to show proof of insurance. Students who wish to enroll in the University plan simply pay the premium when paying for classes.

  2. Proceed to Building 39, 2nd floor, Cashier's Office to pay tuition and fees.

    1. Tuition and fees can be paid in cash or by certified or personal check, money order, credit cards (MasterCard, Visa and Discover only), official agency Deferment Letter, or Purchase Voucher. Financial aid recipients should have their awards on file. Students registering with estimated financial aid awards will be responsible for payment
      of tuition and fees if their awards are not finalized at the time of registration.
    2. Students who register online can also pay online by using credit card payment (MasterCard, Visa and Discover only). Note: When paying online, you must pay your tuition and bill in full; no partial payments can be made.
    3. Failure to pay on the day that you register will result in the cancellation of your classes. (Exception: continuing students registration period.)

    Note: A $150.00 fee will be assessed during the late registration period.
  1. New students should obtain an identification card from the Office of Public Safety, Bldg. 39, Room C-04.

    Back to Top

Note: Your receipts serve as confirmation of enrollment and payment. PLEASE RETAIN ALL RECEIPTS. Warning: Be advised that students may receive credit and grades only for courses in which they are officially enrolled. Faculty cannot make private arrangements that permit instruction for cancelled classes, unscheduled classes or classes and sections for which the student is not officially registered. The University of the District of Columbia honors no arrangements involving instruction outside of University procedures and policies.

Back to Top


District of Columbia Immunization Law 3-20 requires any student under the age of 27, who is enrolled in a primary, secondary or post secondary school of higher education (college or university), to submit proof of immunization as follows:

  • Two (2) doses of measles, mumps and rubella vaccines (commonly known as MMR), given at least 30 days apart, or copies of blood tests showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella.
  • One booster for tetanus/diphtheria (Td) within the last 10 years.
  • Three doses of hepatitis B vaccine. The second dose should be given one month after the first dose, and the third dose should be five months after the second. A positive blood test for hepatitis B is also acceptable.
  • Two varicella (chicken pox) vaccines if the first dose was given after age 12 or a positive blood test for varicella.
  • A recent PPD skin test for tuberculosis is encouraged.
  • Students under the age of 18 must also show proof of polio immunization.

For further information, call 202.274.5030 between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Back to Top

Student Insurance Coverage

The University is proud to offer you student health and accident insurance for the 2013-2014 academic year through CHARTIS. Since student insurance coverage is mandatory, students
are automatically enrolled in the Maksin insurance plan when registering for classes.

Students should be prepared, at the time of registration, to pay the insurance fee and receive a credit to their student account after their waiver is processed (about 2–3 weeks after the add/drop period).

During registration students should visit from any computer to find information about the plan or visit the online waiver process to show proof of comparable insurance. For additional information concerning student insurance, contact the Student Insurance Administrator: Candace Moore,, 202.274.5030.

Back to Top

Declaration and Change of Major

Students wishing to declare or change a major course of study must obtain the approval of the new department chairperson as well as the release of the former department chairperson. Change of Major Forms should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar, Administration Building, A level.

Back to Top

Full-Time/Part-Time Status

Full-time student: Undergraduate enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours. Graduate enrolled in a minimum of 9 semester hours.
Part-time student: Undergraduate enrolled in fewer than 12 semester hours.
Graduate: enrolled in fewer than 9 semester hours.

Note: To be eligible for maximum benefits from the financial aid programs, veteran's benefits, Social Security benefits and other programs established for the benefit of students, full-time status may be required.

Back to Top

Courseload Limitations (Undergraduate)

Full-time students in good academic standing may enroll for a maximum of 18 semester hours. Permission to exceed this limit, up to a maximum of 21 hours, must be obtained from the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. Students on academic probation are required to be part-time students until reinstated to good academic standing. They may take no more than 9 semester hours for the fall semester or 10 semester hours with permission from the dean.

Back to Top

Add/Drop Procedures

A student who finds it necessary to change their schedule may do so either online (continuing students) or by visiting their academic advisor. A $10 Add/Drop fee is charged for each successful transaction after the regular registration period. A course may be added only during the period designated as Add/Drop. In order to add or drop a course, do the following:

  1. New students: Visit your academic advisor for approval and computer entry of the course adjustment(s). Continuing students: Make your course adjustment online.
  2. Print out your current course selection and review for accuracy. Make sure there are no conflicts in course number and titles, days, times and/ or class locations.
  3. Proceed to Building 39, 2nd floor Cashier's Office to complete the payment process.

Exception: Students seeking entry to a closed class must obtain permission from the department chairperson of the department offering the course. Upon approval, the chairperson will facilitate the registration of class(es).

Back to Top

Special Requests

Independent Study: Students who wish to enroll in independent study courses must have the approval of the academic department. Qualified students are second-year in associate degree programs and junior or senior students in baccalaureate degree programs, who are in good academic standing at the University and who have demonstrated their academic ability by attaining a minimum 2.8 or better cumulative GPA. Graduate students must have completed a minimum of 15 semester hours with a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

Back to Top

Auditing Courses

Audited courses are charged at the same rate as courses taken for credit and must have the appropriate instructor's or department chairperson's approval. The grade type for audited courses is "AU."

Back to Top

Request to Repeat a Course

Students who wish to improve their cumulative grade point average (CGPA) by repeating a course for which they have earned a grade may do so by reregistering and paying for the course. Although the lower grade remains a part of the student's permanent record, only the higher grade is computed into the CGPA.

Back to Top

Concurrent Enrollment Policy

Students enrolled at the University who intend to take courses at other colleges and universities and earn transfer credits for these courses at UDC must submit a Concurrent Enrollment Approval Form and receive approval from the registrar prior to enrolling in the courses (enrollment through the Consortium of Universities is not considered concurrent enrollment).  Students seeking to earn General Education or elective (outside of the major) transfer credit must receive approval from the registrar for concurrent enrollment.  Students seeking to earn credit towards required major or elective courses must receive approval from the chair of the department in which their declared major is offered in addition to the registrar.  Failure to receive prior electronic or written approval for concurrent enrollment will result in denial of transfer credit consideration.  Current UDC students who desire to enroll concurrently in UDC and at another institution and earn transfer credit towards an associate's, bachelor's, or master's degree must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours (associate's and bachelor's) and 9 credit hours for graduate students
  • Be in good academic and financial standing
  • Have prior approval for earning credits at another institution while enrolled at UDC (concurrent enrollment approval)

The University will only approve transfer credits earned at other colleges/universities through concurrent enrollment that meet the criteria outlined under Transferring Credit to UDC.  Students must submit an official transcript from the university in which the credits were earned, to the Office of Admissions to ensure that the credits earned comply with the transfer credit criteria identified above and are officially applied towards their credits earned toward graduation.

Back to Top

Credit by Examination

Students may receive credit for specific courses when they successfully complete a departmental examination and are approved by the appropriate chairperson/dean.  The following rules apply: 

  • Students must receive prior permission from the chairperson of the department offering the course.
  • After registration begins, and before the midterm grading period in the semester the examination is to be administered, the student must submit the approved Credit by Exam form to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Students seeking credit by examination must be currently enrolled in a degree program and be in good academic standing.  Students may seek credit by examination only for courses in which the student has never enrolled, and the examination may be taken only once per course.
  • Students may not be registered for the maximum number of hours for the term in which credit by examination is requested.
  • A fee of $50.00 per credit hour and any additional tuition must be paid prior to the administration of the examination.
  • The examination must be administered before the end of the final examination period, listed in the Academic Calendar, for the semester the credit by examination was administered.
  • Upon successful completion of the examination, the credit must be approved by the department chairperson and the dean.
  • The grade earned through the credit by examination process must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the Final Examination period, listed in the Academic Calendar, for the semester the credit by examination was administered. Credit earned by examination will appear on the students' transcripts as "CR" and will not be included in computing the GPA.

Back to Top


Withdrawal From a Course

A student may officially withdraw from a class without penalty prior to the date posted in the current academic calendar. When such a withdrawal is processed officially and filed with the Office of the Registrar, a grade of "W" will be entered on the student's transcript. If the student stops attending class or fails to file the Request Drop Form on time, a failing grade may be given. All students applying for or receiving any form of financial aid must report any withdrawals to the Financial Aid Office as their current or future eligibility may be affected. Withdrawal forms are available in the Office of the Registrar (Administration Building, A level).

Total Withdrawal Procedures

Students wanting to effect a total withdrawal (withdrawing from all classes for which they are enrolled) from the University up to and including the last day of class (prior to the beginning of the final examination period) must do so by submitting the Total Withdrawal Form to the Office of the Registrar (Administration Building, A level).

Withdrawals do not affect the cumulative GPA but will affect academic suspension/dismissal. All students applying for or receiving any form of financial aid must report any withdrawals to their financial aid officer, as their current and future eligibility may be affected.

DETERMINING THE WITHDRAWAL DATE: The withdrawal date is defined as the date that the Total Withdrawal Form is submitted to the Office of the Registrar or online.

The University does not assess a total withdrawal fee.


Back to Top


Grades are available online only. To access your grades go to

Back to Top

Community College/Flagship Cross Registration

Students admitted to the Community College are restricted to Community College courses, and pay Community College fees.

Students admitted to the Flagship University are restricted to Flagship University courses, and pay Flagship University fees.

Graduate courses are restricted to graduate level students. Further, regardless of the level of the course taken by graduate level students, graduate fees are assessed.

*Exceptions to the above must be justified, in writing, by the appropriate deans.

Back to Top

Application for Graduation

Students who expect to complete their academic degree requirements during the current semester should submit an Application for Graduation to the Office of the Registrar on or before the deadline indicated in the academic calendar and pay the required $125 commencement fee in the cashier's office. However, the submission of an application does not guarantee graduation. Only those students who have met "all" academic requirements and who have satisfied "all" financial obligations will be cleared for graduation. In the event that a student does not complete graduation requirements in the designated term, a new Application for Graduation must be submitted for the term when all requirements have been met; no additional fee is required. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their academic advisor each semester to ensure that academic requirements are being met for the degree objective pursued and that they are on target for graduation.

Back to Top

Financial Aid

You are able to check your financial aid status online via You must have your User ID number and PIN (birthday—two-digit month, day and year) in order to access your account.

Back to Top

Academic Good Standing for All Financial Aid Applicants & Recipients

  1. Students Who Have Applied for and/or Received Aid
    Students who have applied for financial aid but have not received a response for a valid Student Aid Report (SAR) should come to the Financial Aid Office to check their status. Failure to do so will cause your classes to be dropped for nonpayment if you have not made other arrangements with Student Accounts to pay your bill. All students who have received an award letter should review their bill to make sure that the financial aid on the financial statement agrees with the amount on the award letter. After registration, notify your financial aid counselor of any discrepancies. If you have your award letter, you do not need to contact the Financial Aid Office during the registration period.

  2. Satisfactory Academic Classes
    All undergraduate and graduate students who apply for financial aid will have their academic standards evaluated in accordance with the SAP policy, which is viewable and can be printed from the Financial Aid UDC web site Copies of the policy are available in the Financial Aid Office. Students who fail to meet the minimum standards could be in jeopardy
    of losing their financial aid.

  3. Policy for Withdrawal and Unofficial Withdrawals
    If you totally withdraw from school, the law states that the amount of Federal Student Aid Assistance you have "earned" up to the point of withdrawal must be determined by a specific formula. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned. An unofficial withdrawal is when you stop attending classes and do not complete the Withdrawal Form in the registrar's office located in Building 39, Room A-08. The amount of assistance you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. That is, if you completed 30 percent of the payment period or five weeks of classes, you earned 30 percent of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. The unearned portion must be repaid by
    the student. If you do not repay these funds to the University, you will be barred from the next registration period. Students who complete at least 60 percent of the payment period or 10 weeks of the semester earned the amount of the financial aid award. For additional information on this policy, please call 202.274.5060 or come to the Financial Aid Office in
    Building 39, Room 101.

  4. Nonattendance
    Any student who has unofficially withdrawn* from the University and is a recipient of federal financial aid will be placed in overpayment status for the financial aid received. If a student stops attending class, the student must contact the registrar's office to officially withdraw and notify the Financial Aid Office.

    *Student who registers for classes but does not attend

    Back to Top

Refund and Return of Title IV Funds

The purpose of this instructional notice is to state the University's institutional policies and procedures, as well as the Federal guidelines, pertaining to the refund and return of Title IV funds.

Pursuant to Section 485 of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 (P.L.105-244)
Section 484B of the HEA of 1965, amended _ Statute enacted October 7, 1998 _ NPRM PUBLISHED August 6, 1999 _ Final Regulations published November 1, 1999

The federal guidelines for Title IV funds require that if a student withdraws or is expelled from the University that he may be required to return all or a portion of the federal Title IV funds awarded to him. If a recipient of Title IV aid (Pell grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity
grant, D. C. Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program (formerly SSIG), National Direct Student Loan, Family Educational Loan Subsidized and Unsubsidized) withdraws during a payment period (i.e., a period of enrollment), the University must calculate the amount of Title IV aid the student earned. Unearned Title IV funds must be returned to the Title IV programs.

Procedures: Official Withdrawal Process
Students wanting to effect a total withdrawal (withdrawing from all classes for which they are enrolled) from the University up to and including the last day of class (prior to the beginning of the final examination period) must do so by submitting the Total Withdrawal Form to the Office of the University Registrar (Building 39, Room A-12).

Determining The Withdrawal Date
The withdrawal date is defined as the date that the Total Withdrawal Form is submitted to the Office of the Registrar or online.

The University does not assess a total withdrawal fee.


University's Responsibility to Return Title IV Funds and Order of Return

Return Policy
After notification by a student of his or her withdrawal from the University, the Office of Financial Aid has:

45 days to return Title IV funds
45 days to notify a student of grant overpayment requirements
45 days to notify a student of eligibility for post withdrawal disbursement
90 days to send post-withdrawal disbursement to a student and/or parent

The University assesses tuition, fees and books as allowable institutional charges in the calculation of the return of Title IV funds.

A student who totally withdraws from the University and receives a refund check may be in an overpayment status.

Order of Return Policy
The University returns the lesser of unearned Title IV Aid or The University charges for the period times the percentage of Title IV aid that was unearned. The University must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

Unsubsidized Family Educational Loan
Subsidized Family Educational Loan
Perkins loan
PLUS loan
Federal Pell grant
Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity grant
Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Program
(ACG/SMART grants) formerly SSIG
Other assistance under Title IV

Students' responsibility to return Title IV funds: The student must return funds to the Title IV fund from which they were received. The student must return the net amount disbursed from each funding source. A student is required to repay 50 percent of the grant assistance he or she received.

The student (or parent, if a federal PLUS loan) returns funds to the loan programs in accordance with the terms of the loan and to grant programs as an overpayment. In other words, the student will be repaying any unearned loan funds in the same manner that he or she will be repaying earned loan
funds. Grant overpayments are subject to a repayment arrangement satisfactory to the University or overpayment collection procedures prescribed by the secretary of the Department of Education.

NOTE: The student automatically retains eligibility for Title IV assistance for 45 days after the University sends the notification of a grant overpayment and request for repayment arrangements to the student.

Procedures for Collection of Payment to Student
The student will be notified in writing within 30 days of the date of the University's determination that the student withdrew and a grant overpayment is due. The following repayment options are available:

  • Pay in full within 45 days.
  • Establish repayment arrangements with the University.
  • Establish repayment arrangements with the Department of Education.

If the student defaults in the repayment agreement, the University will report within 30 days to the Department of Education and National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) that the student is in overpayment status.

Students requesting additional information should contact the Office of Financial Aid, Building 39, Room 101, or call 202.274.5060.

Back to Top

Residency Requirements

Residency Definition

For admissions and tuition purposes, applicants are classified as District, Metro Area, or Out-of-State students, and pay differing tuition rates accordingly. These classifications are defined as follows:

District: Bona fide residents of the District of Columbia
Metro Area: Bona fide residents of one of the following counties: Montgomery County, Prince George's County, Arlington County, Alexandria County, or Fairfax County
Out-of-State: Residents of any state, territory, or county other than those defined by the District and Metro Area

Burden of Proof

The person seeking District or Metro Area status has the burden of providing a preponderance of evidence that he or she satisfies the requirements and standards set forth in this Policy. Assignment of District or Metro status will be made by UDC based on the totality of facts known or presented. With the special population exceptions noted below, students who fail to provide UDC with documentation as to their residency status will automatically be classified as Out-Of-State and pay the tuition accordingly.

District or Metro Area Residency Status Qualifications

To qualify for District or Metro Area status, all students must demonstrate that, for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to and including the last date available to register for courses in the semester/term for which the student seeks in-state tuition status, the student was and currently is:

  1. Domiciled in the District or Metro area, and either paid District of Columbia
    or Metro Area income taxes or received public assistance from a
    District of Columbia/Metro Area government agency; OR
  2. Claimed as a dependent on District of Columbia or Metro Area resident
    tax returns filed by a parent or spouse who is domiciled in the District or
    Metro Area

All applicants must also show that they have resided in the District or Metro Area primarily for a purpose other than that of attending an educational institution in the District or Metro Area.

Proof of Qualifications

Primary Proof of Residency
In order to prove that students meet the qualifications for District or Metro Area status, students can submit one of the following primary forms of proof that covers the 12 month period in question on their own behalf, or if claimed as a dependent, on behalf of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s):

  1. District of Columbia Form D-40 or D-40EZ income tax return; or Virginia Form 760 (resident individual income tax return) or other resident individual tax return that bears an address in a Metro Area county; or Maryland Form 502 (resident individual income tax return) or other
    resident individual tax return that bears an address in a Metro Area county; OR
  2. Documentation from a District, Maryland, or Virginia government agency showing receipt of public benefits from that agency and bearing an address within the District or Maryland or Virginia. This documentation may include statements of benefits, assistance checks, receipts, or other documentation meeting the required criteria.

Secondary Proof of Residency
Students who are unable to provide a primary proof of residency can prove their District or Metro Area status by providing the Office with copies of at least TWO of the following secondary forms of proof that covers the 12 month period in question:

  1. Lease or mortgage agreements
  2. Driver's license
  3. Motor vehicle registration
  4. Voter registration
  5. Federal income tax returns

Special Populations Proof of Residency
The following special populations are exempt from providing primary or secondary proofs of residency, and establish residency as outlined below:

  1. Current District or Metro Area High School Graduates and Recent Graduates: This policy applies ONLY to students who are currently attending a District or Metro Area public high school at the time of application, or who have graduated from a District or Metro Area public high school within 12 months of the last date available to register for courses in the semester/term for which the student seeks District of Metro Area residency status.
    1. Students who meet this qualification will automatically qualify for District or Metro Area status at the time of application only if they submit, as part of the admissions process, an official high school transcript with their address noted on the transcript.
    2. Students whose transcripts do not include an address must provide a certification form from their high school indicating that they were classified as a resident of the District or Metro Area county, or provide one of the primary or secondary forms of proof noted.
  2. District Government Employees: This policy applies ONLY to students who are current
    employees of the District of Columbia Government AND who are actively engaged in agency-sponsored education and training and whose enrollment at UDC will enhance their education and training. Such employees who provide the proof noted below qualify for District residency status.
    1. Students who meet this qualification must provide two forms of proof. First, students must provide the Office with an employment letter identifying dates of employment or other official document from District Human Resources that they have guaranteed employment with the District Government for the semester/term for which the student seeks District residency status. Second, students must provide the Office with a letter, on letterhead and signed by their supervisor, from their employing agency that clearly states that the employee is engaged in agency-sponsored education and training and that enrollment at UDC will help to enhance their education and training.
  3. Active-Duty Military: This policy applies ONLY to students who themselves, or their spouse, parent, or legal guardian, are active-duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces, Selective Reserve, or National Guard. Active duty military personnel who provide the proof noted below qualify for District residency.
    1. Students who meet this qualification must provide proof of their own, or their spouse's, parents', or legal guardian's, active-duty status for the semester/term for which the student seeks District residency status.

Ineligibility for District or Metro Area Status
The following student types are ineligible for District or Metro Area residency and are automatically classified as Out-of-State:

  1. Persons with student (F) visas
  2. Persons with diplomatic (A) visas
  3. Foreign organization employees with (G) visas
  4. Persons having other non-immigrant visas

Residency Submission and Evaluation Procedures

The following procedures govern the classification of residency status:

With the exception of those special population of students whose transcripts are sufficient for residency classification purposes, ALL other students who wish to establish District or Metro Area status must submit the documentation identified above to the Office of Admissions within at least 14 days prior to the last date of registration for the term to guarantee that the Office reviews the forms in time for the
current semester.

Students can either mail the appropriate documentation to the Office of Admissions with their Identification Number (N-Number) and the type of forms (Residency) clearly marked on the envelope, or send electronic/scanned copies of documents to the Office at

Based upon the preponderance of evidence received, the Office will make an initial determination of residency status, and communicate this decision to students, within 7 days after receipt of the documentation via the primary email address provided by the student. The determination made at that time, and any determination made thereafter, shall prevail for each semester/term unless and until the determination is successfully challenged or changed.

For new students who wish to rebut their status classification, a change in status must be requested by a student and documentation received by the Office of Admissions within 7 days of the initial residency notification.

Continuing students who want to change their residency status must request a change and submit all documentation to the Office of the Registrar at least 21 days prior to the last date of registration for the semester/term for which the change is requested. The Registrar will issue a decision within 15 days of receipt.
Continuing students are required to notify the Office of the Registrar in writing within 7 days of any change in circumstances which may alter their residency status.
In the event that students submit incomplete, false, or misleading information
to UDC for their initial status classification, or subsequently fail to notify UDC of circumstances that would alter their residency status, UDC may, at its discretion, revoke District or Metro Area status and take disciplinary action including suspension or expulsion. If District or Metro area status is gained or maintained due to false or
misleading information, UDC reserves the right to retroactively assess all out-of-state charges for each semester/term affected.

Back to Top

Disability Resource Center

Building 44, Level A (Disability Resource Center Suite), Telephone 202.274.6417, TTY: 202.274.5078

Students with documented disabilities can rely on the Disability Resource Center to explore and facilitate reasonable accommodations, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids and services. Students with disabilities at UDC have access to tools and resources that will enable them to manage day-to-day life in college.

Back to Top

Counseling and Student Development Center

Building 39, Suite 120, 202.274.6000,

The UDC Counseling and Student Development Center is dedicated to promoting psychological well-being that enriches personal, career and academic growth. We provide a broad range of high quality, innovative and ethical services, resources and information to students, staff and faculty. The Counseling Center also actively contributes to the campus' broader academic mission by training and developing students and professionals, helping build a multicultural learning community, and providing leadership through collaborative partnerships. Services for students include outreach programming, grant-funded initiatives, consultations, counseling and
referrals, as well as mandated judicial and financial aid screenings. Services for staff and faculty include consultations and referrals. Contact: Director Dr. Sislena Ledbetter.

Back to Top

English as a Second Language

Intensive courses in English as a second language are available for students whose primary language is not English. Admission to the program requires taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the student's score determines placement at one of the four sequential levels. Students who score at least 550 on the written TOEFL, 213 on the computerized TOEFL, or 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL are not required to take ESL courses; however, they must take the ACCUPLACER (placement test) before registering for courses. For additional information regarding the English as a Second Language program, contact the appropriate program coordinator:

Community College students—Dr. Pearl Peters at 202.274.6256
University students—Dr. Maxine Legall at 202.274.5763

Back to Top

Veterans Certification

For assistance, veterans should report to the Veterans Affairs Office:

4200 Connecticut Ave NW (Washington, DC)
Bldg 39 Level A/125B

801 N Capitol St (Washington, DC)
Room 119

Back to Top

Military Science (ROTC)

If you are interested in enrolling in a ROTC program, you should contact the appropriate office listed below.

ARMY ROTC Howard University
Douglass Hall (Basement)
2401 6th St. NW
Washington, DC 20059
CONTACT: Enrollment Officer 202.806.6784

AIR FORCE ROTC Howard University
Douglass Hall (Basement)
2401 6th St. NW
Washington, DC 20059
CONTACT: Enrollment Officer 202.806.6788

Back to Top

Consortium of Universities

The University of the District of Columbia is an affiliate of the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area. Other affiliates are The American University, The Catholic University of America, Corcoran College of Art+Design, Gallaudet University, George Mason University, The George Washington University, Georgetown University, National Defense Intelligence College, Howard University, Marymount University of Virginia, National Defense University, Trinity Washington University and University of Maryland (College Park Campus). Students enrolled at UDC may be eligible to take courses at any of the member institutions. Courses taken through the Consortium must be required for your program of study and not offered in the given semester at UDC. Students are limited to six hours per semester (fall and spring only) through the Consortium. However, graduate students who have previously been granted nine transfer credits from non-Consortium schools may enroll and receive resident credit in only one of the Consortium institutions. Students
are not eligible to take certification courses through the Consortium. To be eligible for participation in the Consortium, students must:

  1. be enrolled in a degree-granting program and be registered for the current semester at UDC
  2. have approval from an academic major department and the dean
  3. be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 (3.0 GPA for graduate students)
  4. be in good financial standing at the University of the District of Columbia and
  5. have completed a specified portion of their academic program—30 semester hours for students in associate degree programs, 60 semester hours for students in bachelor degree programs, and 50 percent of graduate-level academic programs

Registration forms and instructions are available from the University Consortium registration coordinator in the registrar's office. The student must pay UDC tuition and fees for the current semester before becoming eligible to attend institutions of the Consortium. Official registration in the University of the District of Columbia is a prerequisite for the Consortium registration. Forms may be obtained from the coordinator during registration in Building 39, Room A-12.

Back to Top

Senior Citizens

Tuition and fees normally required for students admitted to the University will be waived for qualifying senior citizens, 65 years of age or older, except in cases where the applicant matriculates in a degree program. Such matriculating students shall pay half of the amounts set for students within their category unless otherwise deferred or waived by specific board of trustees authority. For further information, please contact The Institute of Gerontology, Building 32, Room C-10, 202.274.6697.

Back to Top

Change of Personal Information

Students: All changes to your personal information must be made in writing and in person at the Office of the Registrar, Administration Building, A-Level, Room 135. If you are requesting a change of address, name, Social Security number or birth date, you must bring an original copy of the following: birth certificate, court order, marriage certificate, Social Security card, passport, lease, certified state tax form, etc. verifying the appropriate information at the time your request is made.

Faculty: All changes to your personal information are handled by the academic unit to which you report.

Back to Top


Police and Public

Reporting crime, suspicious or unusual activity, medical emergencies, fire and environmental safety hazards: We encourage all students, faculty, staff and visitors to report all suspicious or unusual activity that they observe. When you contact campus police, an officer(s) will be dispatched to the location of the incident. Campus police will simultaneously initiate emergency response from other agencies as needed or as required. For direct access to municipal emergency response services (police, fire, ambulance), dial 911 (or 9+911 from a University telephone).

Should you become a victim of a crime, or should you witness a crime, use the following information to immediately contact campus police:

On Campus Extension 5050 | Off Campus: 202.274.5050

Or report in person at the Police Communications Center in Building 39, C-level. Police Communications is staffed at all times, year round.

Annual Security Report at the University
This report includes statistics for the three previous years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University of the District of Columbia, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus. This report also includes institutional policies including campus safety and security such as: statements about campus law enforcement policies; campus security education and prevention programs; and procedures for handling and reporting crime, sexual assault and other matters. To view the institution's annual report (Campus Safety and Security Brochure) online, visit Copies of the Campus Safety and Security Brochure can be obtained from any of the following offices: Campus Police Communications (Building 39, C-level); Vice President for Public Safety & Emergency Management (Building 39, Room 301K); and Human Resources (Building 38, Room 301).

Environmental Safety

For matters involving environmental safety and management, such as chemical spills, waste management and other compliance and regulatory standards related to environmental safety, you should call 202.274.7178 (during University business hours). Outside of University business hours, and in emergency situations, contact campus police at 202.274.5050.

Back to Top


In order to use University parking facilities (including handicap parking), all students, faculty and staff members must register their vehicle(s) with the cashier's office and purchase the appropriate parking permit. Students, faculty and staff who choose not to purchase a seasonal parking permit must pay the $3.50/day rate and must present a valid (student, faculty or staff) ID. All others must pay the $8.00/day rate. A valid parking permit (or daily pass) is required at all times. Parking permits may be purchased at the cashier's office, located in Building 39, Room 201. The cashier's office is open for business Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM–5 PM. Proof of course registration (class schedule) must be presented to the cashier's office in order to purchase a parking permit; therefore, students must complete the registration process prior to obtaining a parking permit (not applicable to University employees).

Back to Top

Learning Resources Division Information

Building 41, Van Ness Campus

Mon.–Fri: 8:00 AM–11:00 PM
Sat.: 8:00 AM–6:30 PM
Sun.: Closed

During intersessions, facilities are open:
Mon.–Fri.: 8:30 AM–5:00 PM
Sat.–Sun.: Closed

During registration, Level 5 is open until 7:00 PM.

Back to Top

Drug & Alcohol Abuse Policy

The unlawful possession, use, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students on University property or as part of any University activity is prohibited. Federal and District of Columbia laws prohibit the unlawful use, manufacture, possession, control, sale and dispensation of any illegal narcotic, dangerous drug, or alcohol.

The health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol include physical and mental impairment, emotional and psychological deterioration, fine and gross motor degeneration, and death.

Students who unlawfully possess, use, or distribute illicit drugs or alcohol shall be sanctioned. Sanctions may include referral for criminal prosecution, expulsion, suspension, reprimand, or requiring the student to complete an appropriate rehabilitation program.

The University of the District of Columbia provides confidential counseling and referral services to students with problems related to drug use and alcohol abuse. The University also provides information about substance abuse and treatment programs available to UDC students.

Students who desire information regarding substance abuse or treatment programs should contact the University Health Services at 202.274.5030.

Back to Top

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. Education records are directly related to the student and are maintained by the University. Student educational records are confidential and will only be shared by University
officials with other University faculty or staff or with lending agencies that have a legitimate interest to know certain information. FERPA prevents the release of information about a student, other than directory information, without the student's consent.

Under FERPA, students are given certain rights regarding education records:

  1. The right to inspect and review education records pertaining to the student kept by the University
  2. The right to request the amendment of education records the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of his or her privacy rights
  3. The right to limit disclosure of education records
  4. The right to file with the US Department of Education a complaint concerning alleged failures by the institution to comply with the requirements of FERPA and the regulations. The complaint should be in writing and contain specific allegations of fact. The complaint should be sent to:
    Family Policy Compliance Office
    US Department of Education
    400 Maryland Ave. SW
    Washington, DC 20202-5920

The following documents are located in the University's Office of the Registrar:

  1. Information regarding the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended
  2. Student Request Form to Review Education Records
  3. Student Request Form to Amend or Remove Education Records
  4. Student Request Form to Limit Disclosure of Directory Information
  5. Student Consent Form for Access to Education Records
  6. Third-party Request for Student Information

Directory of Information
Directory information is information contained in an education record of a student that generally would not be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. It includes, but is not limited to: the student's name; student's address; telephone listing; electronic mail address; photograph; date and place of birth; major field of study; dates of attendance; classification; enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time); participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; degrees, honors, and/or awards received; and previous education agency or institution attended.

Information that can never be identified as directory information are a student's Social Security number (SNN); student identification number (SID); race and ethnicity; gender; religious preference; country of citizenship; grades and grade point average; class schedule; disciplinary actions; and biometric record (for example, fingerprints).

Disclosure without Consent
Please note that the University may be permitted or required to release educational records without a student's consent under the following conditions: school officials with legitimate educational interest; other schools to which a student is transferring; specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes; appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student; to local officials or authorities pursuant to specific law regarding the juvenile justice system; organization conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school; accrediting organizations; to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; to a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a nonforcible sex offense; to a parent if the student has violated any law, rule or policy governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance; or the disclosure concerns sex offenders required to register under federal law. (34 CFR § 99.31)

Disclosure to School Officials with Legitimate Educational Interests
The University discloses education records without a student's prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including University law enforcement personnel and University health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted as its agent to provide a service instead of or in addition to using University employees or officials (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University.

Back to Top

Special Bookstore Hours - Registration Week

Mon.–Thurs.: 9 AM–8 PM
Fri.: 9 AM–6 PM
Sat.: 10 AM–5 PM

The UDC bookstore is located in Building 38, A level. For more information, call 202.274.5110.

Back to Top

Final Examination Schedule - Fall Semester 2013

December 12-18, 2013

Final examinations will be given based on the time(s) and day(s) your courses meet during the semester. For example if your course meets at 8:00 a.m. on Mondays & Wednesdays, your final examination will be held on Monday, December 16, 2013 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Final exams for Friday/Saturday classes will be held on Friday, December 13, 2013, during regular class hours. Final exams for Saturday classes will be held on Saturday, December 14, 2013, during regular class hours. Below you will find the final examination schedule for all students enrolled for the Spring Semester of the Academic Year 2013-14.

ClassMeetingsExamination TimesDayDate
8:00 a.m.MW8:00 - 10:00 a.m.Mon.12/16/13
9:30 a.m.MW9:30 - 11:30 a.m.Wed.12/18/13
11:00 a.m.MW11:00 - 1:00 p.m.Mon.12/16/13
12:30 p.m.MW12:30 - 2:30 p.m.Wed.12/18/13
2:00 p.m.MW2:00 - 4:00 p.m.Mon.12/16/13
4:00 p.m.MW3:30 - 5:30 p.m.Wed.12/18/13
5:30 p.m.MW5:30 - 7:30 p.m.Mon.12/16/13
7:00 p.m.MW7:00 - 9:00 p.m.Wed.12/18/13
8:30 p.m.MW8:00 - 10:00 p.m.Mon.12/16/13
8:00 a.m.TR8:00 - 10:00 a.m.Tues.12/17/13
9:30 a.m.TR9:30 - 11:30 a.m.Thurs.12/12/13
11:00 a.m.TR11:00 - 1:00 p.m.Tues.12/17/13
12:30 p.m.TR12:30 - 2:30 p.m.Thurs.12/12/13
2:00 p.m.TR2:00 - 4:00 p.m.Tues.12/17/13
4:00 p.m.TR3:30 - 5:30 p.m.Thurs.12/12/13
5:30 p.m.TR5:30 - 7:30 p.m.Tues.12/17/13
7:00 p.m.TR7:00 - 9:00 p.m.Thurs.12/12/13
8:30 p.m.TR8:00 - 10:00 p.m.Tues.12/17/13

ATTENTION: For classes not covered by this schedule, final exams must be scheduled after December 11, 2013.

Back to Top

Course Cancellations/Changes: Disclaimer

The University will make every effort to offer all courses and sections shown on the website. However, the University reserves the right to cancel or make changes to courses for insufficient enrollment or as other compelling circumstances warrant.

Back to Top

Textbook Information

In accordance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 20 U.S.C.§1015b, textbook information for University courses is available on the University's web site at

Back to Top


The University of the District of Columbia is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267.284.5000) The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Visit for more information about UDC's accreditation.

Back to Top

Equal Opportunity Policy

The University of the District of Columbia is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action institution. The University prohibits discrimination or harassment against any person on the basis of the actual or perceived actual race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, marital status, personal appearance, genetic information, familial status, source of income, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, place of residence or business, or status as a covered veteran, as provided for and to the extent required by District and Federal statutes and regulations. This policy covers all programs, services policies, and procedures of the University, including admission to educational programs and employment. The University emphasizes the recruitment of minorities, women, disabled.

Visit for more information about UDC's Equal Opportunity Policy

Back to Top