Spotlight on 2022 graduates

Spotlight on 2022 graduates

Spotlight on 2022 graduates

In our previous issue, we showcased some of our outstanding graduates. This week, we proudly celebrate and share our future leaders’ stories about who they are and what their time at UDC has meant to them in their own words.

Antoria Yates

Antoria Yates

Hometown: Arcadia, Florida

Major/Degree: Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology

Favorite Professor: All of them

Plans after graduation: I plan to move back home to Florida to complete my clinical fellowship year. I look forward to helping many families and continuing to craft my skills as a speech-language pathologist.

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss my cohort and professors. My UDC experience was a little different because of COVID-19. However, I still built lasting relationships.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? Where do I even begin? UDC prepared me by giving me the opportunity to pursue my dream of obtaining my master’s degree. My professors also played a huge role in preparing me by molding the lectures and clinical experiences to mimic real-life experiences. The University also helped further my interests in research by offering the opportunity to be a graduate research assistant alongside one of my professors and being able to network with various professionals. I will forever be grateful and a proud Firebird until the end!

Maksim Bahdanovich

Maksim Bahdanovich

Hometown: Brest, Belarus

Major/Degree: Civil Engineering

Favorite Class: Transportation engineering

Plans after graduation: I will work as a traffic engineer at HNTB Corporation.

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss my tennis team.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has taught me how to work hard.

Paradise Mingo

Paradise Mingo

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Major/Degree: Psychology

Favorite Professor: The entire psych team

Plans after graduation: I plan to attend grad school and explore options in psychology.

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss the friendships/relationships I’ve created.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has prepared me by teaching me the importance of networking.

Destini Richburg

Destini Richburg

Hometown: Washington D.C.

Major/Degree: Business Management

Favorite Professors: Dr. Dazhong Wu, Dr. Donovan Collier, Professor Timothy Harris

Plans after graduation: I plan to pursue my master’s degree in library and information science as well as acquire an internship or full-time role within the government.

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss the overall environment and the support system. From the professors to the staff operations and leadership, the support system within UDC is created to address the student’s needs as a whole.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has prepared me by providing me with a solid foundation for my education and professional goals. UDC has also provided access to resources to assist with career exploration and networking opportunities.

Oshin Wilson

Oshin Wilson

Hometown: Portland, Jamaica

Major/Degree: Biomedical Engineering

Favorite Class: Physics I and II because the professor made them enjoyable and interactive. Every class, the professor would call my name to answer questions. The hilarious thing is that he would respond by saying he knows I know the answer to the question even if I didn’t.

Plans after graduation: I will be returning to UDC to do my master’s in mechanical engineering with a concentration in biomedical engineering.

What will you miss most about UDC? What I will miss the most about my undergraduate experience are the friendships I formed with my engineering colleagues as well as those from other fields.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has aided me in being a well-rounded individual in both the professional and social realms of my life. I discovered how to be more tenacious. Additionally, being exposed to a diverse range of people has influenced my thinking by encouraging innovation, creativity, and teamwork.

Tajera Henry

Tajera Henry

Hometown: Portland, Jamaica

Major/Degree: Biology

Favorite Professor or Class: Dr. Alexandra Taraboletti

Plans after graduation: I will be attending the University of Florida, College of Medicine, where I will pursue my Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences (Immunology & Microbiology concentration).

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss UDC’s sense of community. I am a DC-UP scholar, and this has enabled me to experience a higher level of satisfaction with my university experience through the events and workshops held throughout the academic year. I will also miss my UDC STEM Center family dearly.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? I am a biology major who has done chemistry research with my mentor Dr. Song, for almost four years. This undergraduate research experience has taught me invaluable skills that I will transfer during my time as a Ph.D. student. I have also presented my research at several national conferences where I received feedback from experts in my field. The UDC STEM Center has also played a critical role in my professional development by introducing me to opportunities and experiences I would have not known about otherwise. Special thanks go out to Anita Wood, Dr. Freddie Dixon and Dr. Carolyn Cousin from the UDC STEM Center.

Breanna Champion

Breanna Champion

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Major/Degree: Psychology

Favorite Professor or Class: Heath Psychology

Plans after graduation? First, celebrate!

What will you miss most about UDC? The CDIMA and T.A.G.️

How has UDC prepared you for your future? By reminding me to keep going! Nothing is too insurmountable for me. Our toughest struggles will always pass.

Natrua McCutcheon

Natrua McCutcheon

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Major/Degree: Psychology

Favorite Professor or Class: Dr. Anifa Fredericks

Plans after graduation? Start Master’s program at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology in August.

What will you miss most about UDC? I will miss the diverse classes, engaging teachers and my classmates.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has prepared me for my future because teachers ensured that it’s more out here in the world and as long as I want it I can achieve it.

Andrae D. Harris

Andrae D. Harris

Hometown: St. Mary, Jamaica

Major/Degree: Civil Engineering

Favorite Professor/class: Geotechnical Engineering/Dr. Lei Wang

Plans after graduation: Complete my master’s in civil engineering at UDC.

What will you miss most about UDC? The diverse student population.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has given me the opportunity to complete university debt free and has equipped me with all the skills necessary to operate at maximum efficiency in my field.

Margaret Ann Wesley

Margaret Amina Westley

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Major/Degree: Psychology

Favorite Professor or Class: All the Professors are a blessing.

Plans after graduation: I will attend Stony Brook University (Manhattan Campus) to pursue a MFA in Creative Writing.

What will you miss most about UDC? The students, the professors, how diverse the student body is, the stories I’ve heard, the friends I’ve made, the memories.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has given me an opportunity to pursue a BS in Psychology. It has provided me with the space to learn and to grow. I have met incredible people whose stories I will never forget. Psychology professors taught me so much, and I know it will benefit me in the future for the rest of my life. Graduating is a gift. This has been a 20-year journey. I have felt supported, encouraged and pushed! I feel like I can continue forth and follow the rest of my dreams.

Nico Tharpe

Nico Tharpe

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Major/Degree: BBA with concentration in Marketing and Logistics & International Trade

Favorite Professor? Wynn Yarbough, Dr.  Malva Reid

Plans after graduation: Firefighter and social media marketing with sports franchise or Fortune 500 company.

What will you miss most about UDC? The exuberant atmosphere and professors’ willingness to adjust to each students’ educational needs.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? Helped me grow intellectually each year attending and opened opportunities for internships.

Emmanuel Thomas

Hometown: Washington, D.C.

Major/Degree: Elementary Education

Favorite Professor or Class: Dr. Anika Burtin

Plans after graduation: I will serve in ministry.

What will you miss most about UDC: What I will miss the most about UDC will more than likely be the face-to-face comradery between my teachers and our cohort. Also, the daily engagements and conversations I was able to have with individuals of diverse cultures.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? UDC has changed my understanding of people, and how to address and meet the needs of people on their level. Also, it has taught me necessary skills needed for me to endure hardships and difficulties in life.

Jeffrey Vo

Jeffrey Vo

Favorite Professor or Class: Professor Ivanov

Plans after graduation: I am looking forward to continuing UDC for MBA.

What will you miss most about UDC? The professors’ attention for students.

How has UDC prepared you for your future? By teaching me a lot, including how to build relationships and use excel.