Steps for International Students to Obtain a Social Security Number
- Obtain an employment letter from the hiring department.
- Email International Student Services to request an appointment for a SSN letter (scan the employment letter).
- International Student Services will then provide the student with a status letter.
- Complete a SSA application with the Social Security Administration.
- Take the following documents to the Social Security Administration:
Completed SSA application
Check the SSA website for a location near you.