Reporting An Absence
In the event employees need to report an absence due to illness or request annual leave, please follow the instructions below:
- If you feel ill, immediately contact your medical provider, stay home, and notify your supervisor. Your medical provider may either schedule a remote (telephone/online) medical screening, or an in-person exam.
- After medical consultation, you may be directed to stay home and self-quarantine for a specific period of time.
- Report your updated status to your supervisor, along with a designated emergency contact.
- Follow the advice of your medical provider.
- If your status changes, contact your supervisor.
- If you have an employee who appears sick, immediately send them home and contact Risk Management (RM) (202-274-7482) or Talent Management (TM) (202-274-5380) and provide employee contact information.
- If an employee calls in sick (unscheduled), contact them for additional information. Report details and contact information to TM/RM.
- Instruct employees to report their medical status to you after their medical consultation, including any self-isolation instructions.
- Check on the status of your employee at least every 5 working days.
Annual Leave Requests:
All annual leave must be requested and approved before taking the leave. Employees should follow the standard procedures for requesting annual leave:
- Submit the annual leave request in the PeopleSoft system.
- Supervisor approves or denies the request in PeopleSoft.
- Once approved, the employee may take annual leave.
- Annual leave must be reported on the employee’s PeopleSoft timesheet.
- For operational efficiency, many departments may have additional internal procedures related to scheduling and requesting annual leave. Employees should follow the internal process as appropriate.
- Union employees should review the annual leave section in the collective bargaining agreement.
- During the pandemic, employees are encouraged to practice wellness strategies and take time away to recharge and refresh.