Referring a Student for Counseling
Faculty and staff are often the first to notice a distressed student. If you are worried about a student there are several courses of action that you can take. Below is a guide to assist you with referring a student to the Counseling and Wellness Center.
Signs of Distress
- Decline in academic performance
- Change in attendance
- Unusual or disruptive behavior
- Alcohol or drug use
- Recent loss/grief
- Decline in personal hygiene
- Reference to suicide/homicide
- Threats to others
The Role of Faculty/Staff in Referring a Student
- Notice the signs of distress
- Familiarize yourself with Counseling Center services so that you can provide accurate information
- Consult with Counseling Center staff (As needed)
- Talk to the student
- Express your concerns
- Note any behavior changes (avoid character descriptors and generalizations)
- Provide the Counseling Center as a resource and suggest the student make an appointment
- Walk student over to the Counseling Center Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 4:00 pm (As needed)
- If the student requires immediate assistance a staff member will speak to you and meet with the student to assess their needs
- Please allow the student to determine if you should wait for them during the appointment. Some students are only comfortable with the faculty/staff escort to the office.
***Please note that student will have to complete walk-in paperwork prior to meeting with a counselor. This is standard Counseling Center practice and all students must complete the necessary paperwork. ***
Who Do I Call?
Click here for more info.
Call the Office of Public Safety/Campus Police at 202.274.5050 immediately if you are concerned about the safety of yourself or someone else while you are on campus. Call Public Safety/Campus Police if you witness active disruption on campus or if you have concerns about potential threats to yourself or an individual in the university community. The Office of Public Safety/Campus Police is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week and is located in Building 39, C-04. They will be able to connect you with the Counseling Center or mental health services if needed.
How to Schedule an Appointment
1. Call the office at 202.274.6000
2. Walk into the office located in Building 39 Suite 120
3. If students require immediate assistance they can make same day walk-in appointments Monday-Friday, 9:00am – 4:00 pm.
- Fall: May 15
- Spring: Oct 15
- Summer: Apr 15
- Fall: Apr 15
- Spring: Sep 15
- Summer: Mar 15