UDC student center

Remitted Tuition FAQs

  1. What is the Remitted Tuition Program?

The Remitted Tuition program is a valuable education benefit that grants regular, full-time employees (including faculty), their spouses, and dependent children, access to a wide array of UDC courses and degree programs. The program applies to tuition charges only. It does not apply to fees, course materials and other non-tuition expenses or study abroad courses or study tours. See Remitted Tuition Program Overview for more details.

  1. How do I know if I am eligible for Remitted Tuition?

To be eligible for Remitted Tuition (RT), you must be a full-time regular employee who has completed their probationary period. See Section 1.1 in the Remitted Tuition SOP.

  1. How do I apply for Remitted Tuition?

In order to apply for RT, you need to submit your request using the links below:

Remitted Tuition Form—Staff and Faculty
Remitted Tuition Form—Spouses and Dependent Children

Once submitted, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) will review, request additional documentation if necessary and send the employee the RT form for completion. Employees must complete the form in its entirety and obtain the necessary signatures. For employees, the immediate supervisor and department head must sign the form. For spouses and dependents, the only signatures required are the employee’s and the spouse/dependent’s signature.

  1. Does it matter when I request or submit my remitted tuition form?

Eligible employees can submit their remitted tuition request once they have registered for classes. The deadline for submission is the next business day following the add/drop deadline. As the add/drop date is not the same every semester, employees will need to refer to the academic calendar for the exact date.

  1. How many credits can I take through Remitted Tuition?

Eligible employees’ tuition will be remitted for a maximum of six (6) credit hours for undergraduate courses per semester and three (3) credit hours for graduate courses. This limitation does not apply to the eligible full-time staff’s spouse and dependent children See Section 5.2 in the Remitted Tuition SOP.

  1. Is Remitted Tuition tax-exempt?

Undergraduate Remitted Tuition is not taxable for employees, or their spouse and dependent children. Up to $5,250 of graduate remitted tuition is not taxable for employees. However, remitted tuition amounts above $5,250 are considered taxable income and are subject to taxation to the employee. Graduate remitted tuition for spouses and dependent children is fully taxable and will be included in the employee’s W-2 subject to FICA/Medicare withholding, and applicable Federal and State taxes. See Sections 4.6 & 4.7 in the Remitted Tuition SOP.

  1. Can my spouse or dependents take classes through Remitted Tuition?

Provided that the employee is a full-time, regular employee who has completed their probationary year, a spouse or dependent can take classes through RT. See Section 1.3 in the Remitted Tuition SOP.

  1. How can I verify Remitted Tuition eligibility for my spouse or dependent?

Eligibility for spouses and dependent children attaches when the full-time faculty or staff member becomes eligible for the benefit. To determine eligibility, the employee must submit the following documentation to the Office of Human Resources:

      1. Spouse includes same or opposite sex provided there is no legal separation or divorce in effect; same or opposite sex domestic partner provided there is no dissolution in effect; and common law spouse of the eligible faculty and staff employee
      2. Dependent children status is defined by the Internal Revenue Service, Publication 501 and includes the biological/natural child, stepchild, a legally adopted child, or a child for whom the employee or his or her spouse/domestic partner, are the legal guardian
      3. For dependent children age 24 or older, a copy of the parent’s the most recent tax return (Form 1040) is required as proof of dependent status.
  1. What happens once I submit my signed form to the Office of Human Resources (OHR)?

Once the form has been submitted, OHR will review the document, sign it and submit to the Registrar’s Office and the Office of Financial Aid for GPA verification and fund disbursement. The employee will need to check their student account to verify the disbursement of funds.

  1. When will funds be disbursed?

Please check the calendar on the Office of Financial Aid’s website for a list of disbursement dates. Please note that the disbursement dates vary by semester.

  1. What is the GPA requirement to be eligible for RT?

Employees must be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate courses and a minimum GPA of 3.0 for graduate courses.

  1. If my child is not a dependent on my taxes, are they still eligible for RT?

If the dependent is not listed on the employee’s IRS Form 1040, the employee will need to complete a Remitted Tuition Program questionnaire and Employee Affidavit.

  1. Can I use Remitted Tuition to take classes in the PhD program?

Per the DCMR-8 policy, classes within the PhD program are not eligible for remitted tuition.

  1. Can I take classes during my tour of duty?

During regular working hours, employees may take one class per semester with the approval of the employee’s immediate supervisor and Department Chair or Office Director. Approval for an employee to attend a class during working hours is subject to work considerations. The time allowed for an employee to attend a class is not to exceed eight (8) hours per 40-hour work week. Absences from the normal duty station under this program are unrelated to vacation leave and need not be made up by the employee. See Section 5.3 in the Remitted Tuition SOP.

Human Resource Management (HRM)
“Collectively Here to Serve”

Main Office: Building 39, 2nd Floor | phone 202.274.5380 | fax 202.274.6300
Office Hours: 8:30am – 5pm, Mon – Fri

All VOES & PSLF Forms should be sent to udchr@udc.edu

Benefit related questions can be sent to benefits@udc.edu

myUDC | UDC's Online Portal
Employees are encouraged to use UDC’s portal: myUDC for internal information and communications.

Employee Self Service Login

Collective Bargaining Agreements

UDC’s Equal Opportunity Policy Statement


Wellness at UDC
Click here to learn more.