Degree Works Frequently Asked Questions

What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree or certificate completion. Degree Works also allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework. With the click of a tab (the “What If” feature), students will also be able to see how academic progress might change with a major change.

What is a Degree Audit?

A degree audit shows the met and unmet requirements for a student’s current or desired major based on courses taken, courses in progress, and courses transferred in.

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is through the Internet. You can Degree Works by logging in to my.UDC. Degree Works performs best when accessed through Mozilla Firefox.

Do I still need to see my Advisor?

YES! Degree Works does NOT take the place of your advisor. You must schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor several times per semester. You must have your course plan approved by your advisor before you may register; your advisor will then release the advisor hold so that you may register. You should review your degree audit prior to meeting with your advisor to be prepared with any questions you may have.

Where can I find out who my advisor is in Degree Works?

Your specific advisor is not listed, but the location of your advisor can be found at the top of your degree audit under “Student View”.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes you use through my.UDC, Degree Works is accessed through your secure login. Remember that your advisor, faculty, and selected staff will be able to view the information contained in Degree Works.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Degree Works is a snapshot of courses taken, in-progress, and planned. Registration will continue to be available through the “Academics” tab on my.UDC.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. Degree Works is laid out in block format displaying degree, general education, major, concentration, and certificate requirements. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete. You will still need to review your academic plan to determine the order in which courses should be taken.

What should I do if I have a question about my requirements?

Questions regarding requirements should be directed to your academic advisor or the Department Chair.

According to my audit, “Degree Progress” indicates that I have more credits than I have actually completed. Why?

Degree Works counts completed and In-Progress courses (currently in-progress and future courses that you have registered for) in the “Credits Applied” category.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

Yes. See the “Plans” section for information.

Does my Degree Works audit include my transfer credits?

Yes. Once awarded transfer credits are posted to your student record, they will also appear on your Degree Works degree audit.

What does the “Courses Not Counted Toward Degree” section at the end of my audit mean?

“Not Counted” are courses that will not be applied to your record and will be subtracted from your total credit count. These courses include “0-level” courses (i.e. ENGL 015 or MATH 015). If you are uncertain about courses in this section, see your advisor or the Office of the Registrar.

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that OK?

In most cases, yes. Degree Works is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any concerns, you should contact an advisor.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once final grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works.

Can I see a list of all of the classes I’ve taken?

Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at UDC as well as transfer courses. REMEMBER, this is not your official transcript.

How is a Degree Works audit different than my transcript?

A Degree Works audit is NOT your academic transcript, nor is it an official notification of completion of degree requirements. Your transcript is your official college record; whereas, your degree audit is a tool for determining completion of degree requirements. Official transcripts can be requested from the Office of the Registrar online, by mail, or in person.

What should I do if I believe my academic information to be incorrect?

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit. Any exception to major, concentration, or certificate requirements should be discussed with the appropriate advisor. You may also need to contact the Office of the Registrar.

Can I print my degree audit?

You can print your degree audit by clicking on the “Save as PDF” button and printing from the PDF screen.  

When should I run a degree audit?

o   Before you meet with your advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.

o   After you register to ensure that the courses you selected are being applied to your degree requirements appropriately.

o   After your grades for each semester are posted.

o   Any time you make a change to your schedule or major.

o   Before you apply for graduation.

My advisor told me that a course I took will be substituted for a requirement. Why doesn’t this information appear on my degree audit?

Once the substitution has been approved by the advisor and program chair, it will be entered into Degree Works. If an approved substitution does not appear on your degree evaluation, please contact your advisor.

I have repeated a course. How does this appear on my degree evaluation?

If you successfully repeat a course, only your last attempt counts toward degree requirements. The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in “Insufficient Due to Grades and Repeats” block at the bottom of your audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements.

I have seen the “@” symbol in several places on my audit. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e. @ xxxxxxxx), it means that you can take any subject area with that level (a 100-200 level course from any subject area). If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e. ACCT @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in ACCT).

What is the recommended web browser for using Degree Works?

Moxilla Firefox is the recommended browser for Degree Works.

Will I automatically graduate if everything is checked off?

No. You must to apply for graduation with the Office of the Registrar. When you apply for graduation, your record will undergo a degree audit and you will be alerted of any issues. It is best to meet with your advisor in the semester prior to applying for graduation.

What is the “What If” feature?

This feature allows you to see how coursework taken and/or courses in progress can be used to meet requirements of another major that you may be considering. This is useful to students who are considering changing majors.

How do I use “What If” planning?

To view how your courses will count in a different major, you must:

o   Click on the “What If” button.

o   Select the catalog term that matches the year you will select that major.

o   Select the major you are considering.

o   Click “Process What-If” at the top of the page.

o   Review carefully how your courses will count in this new major.

o   Decide if you want to change your major.

o   Have a discussion with your advisor.

If I use the “What If” feature, does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The “What If” feature is for information purposes only. You will see the header, “What If Audit”, displayed at the top right hand corner of the evaluation whenever an evaluation is run on a “What If” scenario.

Can I save a “What If” audit?

No. “What If” audits are not saved in Degree Works. You would need to run a new “What If” evaluation next time you log in to see it again. However, you may print a “What If” audit by clicking the “Save as PDF” button AFTER you have chosen a major and BEFORE clicking “Process What-If”.

What is the Student Education Planner?

The Student Educational Planner (SEP) is a tool in Degree Works that students and advisors use to create academic plans. Academic plans can be created for particular programs of study and loaded for student advising. Once a plan is populated, it can be modified as needed.