Online Learning Certification
Faculty must become certified to teach online at UDC, and the Center for the Advancement of Learning (C.A.L.) provides certifications for UDC faculty through a three-stage process click here for a video overview of this process. Faculty may become OTC or OBC-certified (see below).
Stage 1: Prerequisites
1: Blackboard Primer: Blackboard Primer is a module-based online training that covers important aspects of the function and usage of Blackboard. This training should not take more than 18-20 hours to complete (this timeframe may vary depending upon each user’s familiarity with technology). Blackboard is the learning management system (LMS) for our institution, and this training will assist faculty in using it for face-to-face, online, and hybrid courses.
This workshop will be offered online from February 6-20.
You must register by February 4 at 5:00 p.m.
2: Choose 2 workshops from the list to complete: These workshops are offered in an online asynchronous format (no face-to-face or scheduled meetings; however, assignments are required and must be successfully completed by the due date). Each of the following workshops should take no longer than 2 hours to complete.
- The ENHANCE Learning Model
- Creating Engaging Online Environments
- Rubric Relief
- Assessing the Student Learner
- Incorporating Learner-Centered Instruction into Online Courses
These workshops will be offered online from March 20-April 3.
You must register by Monday March 18 at 5:00 p.m.
Stage 2: Online Teach-Only Certification (OTC)
- Complete the Pedagogy, Andragogy, Heutagogy (P.A.H.) Online Workshop (offered online from April 15-22)
- Instructor receives OTC
Stage 3: Online Build Certificate (OBC)
- Consult with Dr. Thomas of the Center for the Advancement of Learning to obtain approval to become online-build certified. OBC candidates will be selected based on their potential to successfully build and teach a number of online courses.
Complete the Applying the Quality Matters Rubric Workshop (APPQMR) workshop. This workshop will be offered during the summer.
Complete module-based online asynchronous training: During this training, you will follow QM standards to build a Blackboard course site for a course you would like to teach
- The course is peer-reviewed
- Revisions (if necessary): You have one week to make revisions.
- Instructor receives OBC
- Course is UDC-certified