UDC Graduate Dayana Delgado (B.S., Mathematics) Awarded Columbia University School of Professional Studies HBCU Fellowship

Pic of Dayana Delgado

“The professors I have been lucky enough to work with at UDC and Northern Virginia Community College have inspired me to aim high and remain ambitious.”

July 11, 2017 – Washington, DC:  Ms. Dayana Delgado graduated from the University of the District of Columbia’s College of Arts and Sciences in December 2016, with a B. S. in Mathematics.  She has been awarded Columbia University’s “School of Professional Studies Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Fellowship” for the 2017-2018 academic year, to pursue a Master of Science degree in Applied Analytics.  Ms. Delgado began her academic career in the U.S. in 2005.  “Growing up in Peru, I received little to no academic mentoring, as working in analytics was not seen as a practical life path for a woman.”  Far from home and family, Ms. Delgado, a non-traditional student on an F1 visa, worked diligently to complete her degree and fine-tune the skills she possessed.  “The professors I have been lucky enough to work with at UDC and Northern Virginia Community College have inspired me to aim high and remain ambitious.”

Her goals for the Applied Analytics program at Columbia are two-fold:  “I want to be fully trained in empowering an organization’s decision making with data, and, as a minority female STEM* practitioner, I want to serve as a working example of a professional leader and team player who has poured her life into making her dream career a reality.”

Congratulations to UDC Alumna Dayana Delgado on this important achievement!

To learn more about  the Columbia University School of Professional Studies HBCU Fellowship, visit http://sps.columbia.edu/hbcu

*STEM = Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics