UDC Alum: Alfred Durham

UDC Alum: Alfred Durham

Alfred DurhamWASHINGTON, DC – UDC alumnus, Alfred Durham,  has been appointed as the new Police Chief in Richmond, VA.  Durham is a graduate of the FBI National Academy and holds an Associates’ degree in Corrections Administration from the University of the District of Columbia. He served in the Marine Corps for 17 years, and then retired from the Metropolitan Police Department in DC, after 25 years. In DC, he led several departments, and served as Boating Law Administrator for the District. He rose to Assistant Chief, serving as the Executive Officer in the Office of the Chief of Police, responsible for the day-to-day operations of the police force.

In making the announcement, Richmond mayor Dwight C. Jones noted the wealth of experience that Durham brings to the position.

“As a veteran of the DC police force, Chief Durham knows how to handle major events. He planned the Presidential Inauguration in 2005, and he knows how to handle multiple major events at one time,” continued Jones. “This experience gives me great confidence as we prepare for the World Championships of Cycling in September. I know we’ll be ready for the biggest event Richmond has ever seen.”

Following the Mayor’s introduction, Durham expressed his gratitude for the privilege to serve and protect.

“I would like to thank Mayor Jones for the opportunity to lead what I feel is one of the finest police departments in the country,” said Durham. “Policing is a noble profession, a profession that I have dedicated my life to. Over the course of my career, I’ve realized incredible rewards, but being named Police Chief for the City of Richmond tops the list of those rewards. I’m humbled by this awesome responsibility that is being given to me and look forward to serving Richmond as Chief of Police.”

Durham’s appointment becomes effective Feb. 21, 2015.