2012 RecycleMania Competition
Once again, UDC is participating in the national RecycleMania competition. Last year we ranked 2nd among DC universities, finishing with a recycling rate of nearly 33%.
This year, for the 2012 RecycleMania competition, our recycling numbers are a little down (around 31%) and we have slipped from second into third place among DC universities. Although we rank nationally in the top 100 (currently 95th out of 605 universities across the country) this is a good time to recommit ourselves to being the best, most sustainable university in the nation’s capital.
With just three weeks left in the2012 RecycleMania competition, let’s all pitch in to push our recycling percentage up to 50%. Please remember these five recycling tips to help UDC become number one:
- If you bring your lunch, store it in a reusable container or bag.
- Avoid purchasing bottled water and instead purchase a refillable water bottle from the UDC bookstore. Take advantage of the numerous Brita Hydration stations on campus and refill your reusable water bottle.
- Remember that text books, newspapers and magazines can all be recycled and should be discarded in the recycling bin.
- Don’t throw away that cardboard packaging! Breakdown and flatten cardboard boxes and place them next to the recycling bins for pick up.
- Always discard waste items in their proper container. When in doubt, please refer to the signs found at each recycling station on campus.
To learn more about the 2012 RecycleMania competition, visit http://recyclemaniacs.org/.