Page Header Image

Office of the Registrar

Main Office: Bldg 39, A Level | phone 202.274.6200 | fax 202.274.7445

Office Hours: 8:30–5:00 Mon - Fri

Summer Sessions 2015 – Mark Your Calendars!

Second Six-Week Session (June 29 – August 7, 2015)

June 26 Last Day to register for Second Six-Week Session
June 29 - July 2Late Registration and Add/Drop
July 17Last Day to Withdraw from Classes
July 31Last Day to Effect a Total Withdrawal

Office of the Registrar

The Office of the Registrar at the University of the District of Columbia provides timely and courteous Service to University students, the University community and outside agencies. The Office is responsible for consistently implementing District, Federal, and University policies and procedures, adhering to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) guidelines, maintaining institutional credibility through the proper maintenance of student biographic and academic records, and certifying students for graduation. Services provided by the Registrar’s Office include registration and scheduling adjustments, transcript maintenance and appropriate distribution, enrollment and veteran’s certification, residency audit, student records management, and dissemination and maintenance of all student demographic data and directories.


Registration information and other relevant class announcements are published in the schedule of classes printed for each semester or term and is available on the University’s website at For detailed registration information for Continuing Students click here. Only students officially enrolled may attend classes and receive academic credit for instruction.

Student Identification Cards

New students are issued an identification card at the time of their initial registration. This ID card is required for access to all University services and must be presented on request to University security personnel in University buildings.  Replacement ID cards are available upon payment of the requisite fee and proof of registration for the current academic term. The Office of Public Safety issues Student Identification Cards.

Full-time Status Defined

Full-time undergraduate students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours of study. Students enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours are classified as part-time students. Summer session undergraduate students are full-time when they are enrolled in six credit hours.

The maximum course load is 18 credit hours. With the approval of the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled, a student in good academic standing may take a maximum of 21 credit hours in a semester. Students on academic probation have course load limitations until reinstated to good academic standing (see Academic Standing).

Full-time graduate students must be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours of study. Students enrolled in fewer than 9 credit hours are classified as part-time. Summer session graduate students are full-time when they are enrolled in six credit hours.

Course Load Limitations

In applying the course load limitations, the University counts audited courses as a part of the student’s course load. However, for regulations that require full-time status, audited courses are not counted as part of the course load.


Students who wish to audit a course must have approval from the appropriate instructor or department chairperson. A grade assigned by the instructor for a student auditing a course is “AU.”

Classification of Students

A student who has been admitted to the University in pursuit of an associate or baccalaureate degree is classified for the purposes of academic rank according to the number of credit hours completed.

  • Freshmen less than 30 credit hours
  • Sophomore at least 30 less than 60 credit hours
  • Junior at least 60 but less than, 90 credit hours
  • Senior 90 or more credit hours.

Updating Personal Information

All changes to your personal information must be made in writing and in person at the Office of the Registrar, Bldg. 39, Suite A-135. If you are requesting a change of address, name, social security number or birth date, you must bring an original copy of the following: birth certificate, court order, marriage certificate, social security card, passport, lease, certified state tax form, etc. verifying the appropriate information at the time your request is made.

All changes to your personal information are handled by the academic unit to which you report.

Policy on Student Residency Classification for Admissions and Tuition Purposes

Download policy to review.