email@example.com | 202.274.5060 | 202.274.6060
8:30 to 5 Mon – Fri (extended hours during Registration)
UDC FAFSA School Code: 007015
Physical Address and Walk-in Assistance
|4200 Connecticut Ave. NW|
Bldg. 39, Suite A-133
Washington, DC 20008
|801 North Capital St. NE|
3rd Fl, Room 305
Washington, DC 20002
Financial Aid for Unemployed Workers and their Families
President Obama announced that Unemployed Workers and their Families may be Eligible for Additional Financial Aid to Pay for College or Training.
Additional financial aid may include the maximum Pell grant ($5,350) and other federal aid through the 2009-2010 academic year.
Go to Opportunity.gov for more information.
What You Need to Do
1. DETERMINE IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE:
- This benefit applies to dislocated workers or the spouse or child of a dislocated worker.
- It applies to the spouse of a dislocated worker if the couple supports themselves financially.
- It applies to the child of a dislocated worker if the child is supported financially by the parents.
What is a dislocated worker? It is a person who:
- Has been laid off or received a lay-off notice from a job; or
- Is receiving unemployment benefits due to being laid off or losing a job and is unlikely to return to a previous occupation; or
- Was self-employed, but is now unemployed due to economic conditions or natural disaster
2. COMPLETE THE FAFSA
(Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
How to Complete the FAFSA:
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov or call 1-800-4-FED-AID.
- If you need help, go to the UDC Financial Aid Office or your local Career One Stop Center. To find the nearest Career One Stop Center, go to www.servicelocator.org or call 1.877.US-2-JOBS (1.877.872.5627).
How to Identify Yourself/Spouse/Parent as a Dislocated Worker on the FAFSA:
- For question 85:
- Answer “Yes” if your parent is a dislocated worker.
- Answer “No” if your parent is not a dislocated worker.
- Answer “Don’t Know” if you are not sure if your parent is a dislocated worker.
- For question 103:
- Answer “Yes” if you or your spouse is a dislocated worker.
- Answer “No” if you or your spouse is not a dislocated worker.
- Answer “Don’t Know” if you are not sure if you or your spouse is a dislocated worker.
3. BRING PROOF OF UNEMPLOYMENT TO THE UDC Financial Aid Office.
In order to qualify for this financial aid, you must bring one of the following documents to the UDC Financial Aid Office:
- Proof of unemployment
- Proof of lay off notice
- Self-employment Schedule C Worksheet
- Letter from your state unemployment agency noting your unemployment status and that you may be eligible for additional financial aid.
Important: Individuals only have 90 days from the date on the letter to bring the letter to a Financial Aid Office at a college or university to receive the financial aid.
If you have any questions, contact the UDC Financial Aid Office at 202.274.5060.
President Obama’s announcement on May 8.
Department of Education letter to financial aid administrators on May 8.
Department of Labor letter to state workforce agencies on May 10.