Research Interests: Dr. Zhang's research expertise and interests are neural networks, fuzzy logic, computational intelligence methods, and their applications on pattern recognition, signal and image processing, time series prediction, renewable energy, and autonomous robot navigation.
Career in Brief: Dr. Zhang received her B.S. in Electrical Engineering at the Wuhan University of Technology, M.S. in Electrical Engineering from Huazhong University of Science and Technology, and Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from Missouri University of Science and Technology. Her research was funded by National Science Foundation, Office of Naval Research, NASA, US Geological Survey (USGS), Xerox Corporation, Bush Foundation, and University of the District of Columbia.
Honors and Awards:
- Myrtilla Miner Faculty Fellow, University of the District of Columbia, 2013
- Summer Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, 2014 and 2013
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 2010 to present
- Book Editor for “Advances in Neural Networks - ISNN 2009,” Berlin: Springer, 2009 (ISBN: 9783642015069)
- Guest Editor for Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Special Issue on Intelligent Computing for Hypersonic Vehicles, 2012
- Guest Editor for International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications (IJSCC), Special Issue on Pattern Recognition and Intelligent Systems and Control, 2011
- IEEE Senior member
- IEEE CIS Neural Networks (NN) Technical Committee Member
- District of Columbia Society of Professional Engineers (DCSPE), 2014
- International Institute of Informatics and Systemics (IIIS), 2014
- Served regularly on the organizing committees and program committees of many international conferences
- Best Paper Award for the paper entitled "A Fuzzy Attributed Graph Approach to Subcircuit Extraction Problem" at the IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), St. Louis, MO, May 25-28, 2003.