Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, 1978 (with Highest Honors, "Mention Tres Bien et Felicitations du Jury"), Ecole Nationale d'Electronique et de Radioelectricte de Grenoble (ENSERG) of the National Polytechnic Institute of Grenoble (France)
M.Sc. Electrical Engineering, 1976, University of Grenoble I (Joseph Fourier)
B.Sc. Electrical Engineering, 1974, University of Grenoble I (Joseph Fourier)
1988 - present: Professorof Electrical Engineering, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of the District of Columbia (UDC)
1986 - 1988: Associate professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, UDC
1979 - 1981: Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, UDC
1978 - 1979: Assistant Professor, Technical College of Trappes, France
1992 (summer): Adjunct Professor at the Department of Electrical Engineering , Addis Ababa University, under the TOKTEN program of the UNDP
2009-2010: Fulbright Research Fellow, Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia
Physical Electronics, Electrical Circuits, Electronics, Signals and Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Digital Electronics (VLSI), Electrical Energy Conversion, Electromagnetic Theory, Digital Control Systems, Senior Project, Renewable Energy Fundamentals.
Academic Administrative and Engineering Accreditation Experience:
- 2013 - present: Chairman, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Acting Assistant Dean, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, UDC
- 2010 - 2013: Chairman, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Acting Chairman, Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering and Acting Assistant Dean, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, UDC
- 2009 - 2010: Chairman, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Acting Assistant Dean, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, UDC
- 2003 - 2009: Chairman, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UDC - Full ABET re-accreditation acquired for the program of electrical Engineering in 2009.
- 2006 - Present: Director, Center of Excellence for Renewable Energy (www.udc.edu/cere), UDC
- 2001 - 2003: Chairman, Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science Full ABET re-accreditation acquired for the program of electrical Engineering in 2003.
- 1997 - 2001: Engineering Program Director, Electrical, Mechanical and Civil Engineering
Major responsibilities: Curriculum revision of all three programs, supervision of the respective program coordinators. Editing of the responses to ABET inquiries, communication with ABET visitors. Accreditation action: Positive for all programs.
- 1988-1993: Chairman, Department of Electrical Engineering, UDC
Major responsibilities: Curriculum revision, supervision of faculty and staff, preparation for the next ABET accreditation cycle, editing of the Volume II of the self study questionnaire submitted to ABET.
Accomplishment: HIGHEST ACCREDITATION ACQUIRED for the program of Electrical Engineering in 1991.
- 1986-1987: Program Coordinator, Program of Electrical Engineering, UDC
Major responsibilities: Curriculum revision, Recruitment of new faculty, acquisition of new equipment, editing of the Volume II of the Self Study Questionnaire submitted to the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
Accomplishment: PROGRAM ACCREDITATION REAFFIRMED for the program of Electrical Engineering
Industiral Design Experience
2000 - 2006: SFA, Inc. , Engineering Consultant for the Naval Research Lab.
Major responsibilities: Design of a CNC controller apparatus for a rapid prototyping laser system of direct-write electronic circuit
1984 - 1986: Member Engineering Staff, RCA, New Products Laboratory, Consumer Electronics Division, and Indianapolis IN
Major responsibilities: Logic circuit design and evaluation of two VLSI full custom integrated circuits (IC) used in the tuning and control systems of color RCA TV's; Design of the analog Infra‑Red remote sensor preamplifier for top of the line RCA color TV models; Interface with various IC manufacturers, including National Semiconductor and Toshiba (Japan)
2009 - 2010: Principal Investigator, US-Embassy (State Department) Seed Grant for Research Partnership with Bahir Dar University, Ethiopia. Funding amount: $15K
2007 - 2008: Principal Investigator, NSF SGER grant, ECCS-0749319. Funding amount: $65K.
Modeling of high efficiency multi-junction solar cells
2006 - 2007: Principal Investigator, DC Department of Energy, REDP02 -0406-10 DC, Funding amount: $60K
2000 (July): Research Director, CNRS (French National Research center), Grenoble, France,
1998-1999-2000-2001-2002-2003-2004-2005: Summer, ASEE Research Fellow, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC. Study of novel techniques for growing electrical components by Pulsed Laser Evaporation
1993 - 96: Principal Investigator, NASA Grant # NAG-52348
High Temperature (High Tc) superconducting bolometric and non- bolometric superconducting infrared (IR) detectors. Funding amount: $333K (111K/year for three years)
1995 - 1997: Principal Investigator, NASA/HU Grant # NAG5-3141
Improvement of Jc in HTS superconductor. Funding amount: $130K ($65K/year)
1994 - 1995: Principal Investigator, NEOCERA grant # 1002
Research on HTSC Films on thin Substrates: evaluation of their bolometric performance. Funding amount: $10,000
1993: Research Fellow under the Air Force Summer Faculty Research Program, Philips Laboratory, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM.
Study of HgCdTe with Deep Level Transient Spectroscopy (DLTS) techniques.
1982: Summer Visiting Researcher, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of MD, College Park. Worked with Dr. H.C. Lin on "Oxidation Enhancement of Silicon by Dislocation"
1975 - 1978: Student researcher at the National Polytechnic Institute of Grenoble and University of Grenoble and the Max Planck Institute.
Research concentrations: Characterization of intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors under magnetic fields (10 Tesla), Hall Effect, Magnetoresistance and Magnetoconcentration effects, Determination of carrier concentrations and mobilities.
Semiconductor device characterization: SEM, DLTS, PLD
ANALOG/DIGITAL ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT DESIGN; AMPLIFIER DESIGN; DATA ACQUISITION (ADC/DAC, LABVIEW, MATLAB); VLSI DESIGN (LOGIC/LAYOUT DESIGN, TEST); CIRCUIT SIMULATION; DEVICE MODELING (SILVACO, CADENCE PSPICE); VHDL/VERILOG (FPGA, CPLD)CAE (Mentor Graphics, Tanner Tools Ledit, Synopsys Logic Automation); Renewable energy system design (Solar and Wind).
I. Basic & Applied Research on High Temperature Superconductivity
Related publications and presentations:
- M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou, "Effects of (Co,Fe) Substitution for the Cuo chain Cu sites on the Pinning Anisotropy and Inter‑layer Coupling in YBCO", American Physical Society , March 1994 meeting
- M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou, "Electrical Noise in YBa2Cu3O7 Thin Films: Correlation with Microstructures, Weak Link Effects and Inter‑layer Coupling", American Physical Society, March 1994 meeting.
- M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou,"Electrical Noise Characteristics of YBa2 Cu3O7 Thin Films", Fall Material Research, November 1994.
- M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou,"Dopant Incorporation in Epitaxial Thin Films of YBCO by PLD", American Physical Society meeting, March 1995
- M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou, "Electrical and Magnetotransportation in the Normal State and Superconducting State of Epitaxial Thin Films of YBa2Cu3‑xMxO7‑d", American Physical Society meeting, March 1995
- Influence of substrate on the excess electrical noise in the normal state of YBCO thin films M. Rajesawri, S. Lakeou, E.A.Wood, D.D Choughule,T. Venkatessen, K.S Harshavardhan, and Z. Shi, Journal of Superconductivity, 9(3), 311, (1996)
- Low frequency optical response in epitaxial thin films of LaCaMno exhibiting colossal magnetoresistance, M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou, C. H Chen, A. Goyal, C. Kwon, M.C. Robson, R. Ramesh, T. Venkatesan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 68(25), 3555, (1996)
- 1/f Electrical noise in epitaxial thin films of the manganite oxides LaCaMnO and PrSrMnO, M. Rajeswari, S. Lakeou, A. Goyal, A.K Raychaudhuri, M.C. Robson, G.C. Xiong, C. Kwon, R. Ramesh, R. L. Greene, T. Venkatesan, Appl. Phys. Lett. 69 (6), 1996
- Incorporation of Co dopant and its effects on magneto-transport properties in c-axis oriented epitaxial YBCO thin films, M. Rajeswari, S.Lakeou, A. N. Thorpe, R. Shreekala, Z. Trajanovic, S. Ogale, D.D. Choughule and T. Venkatesan. Physica C, August,1998
Resulting Laboratory setup: HTS Characterization at UDC
- Noise measurement setup ,GPIB-based Lock-in amplifier, Spectrum analyzer etc.
- Optical Response
- Low temperature cryogenic system with programmable temperature controller (down to liquid He 4K or Liquid Nitrogen, 77K)
II. Research on Silicon-On-Insulator (SOI) devices: April –June 2000 Research Director, CNRS, Grenoble France
Resulting publications and presentations:
- "Average transient Current in SOI MOSFET's: A New Technique for Measuring the Transient Floating Body Effects", T.Ernst, S. Lakeou, F. Allibert, C. Perret, S. Cristoloveanu, 2000 IEEE SOI Conference, October 2000
- "Special frequency-dependent transient mechanisms in SOI MOSFETs measured by a new technique: the average transient current", T.Ernst, S. Lakeou, F. Allibert, S. Cristoloveanu, 199th Electrochemical Society Conference, March 2001
III. Summer Research Activities
- 1993, Air Force Kirkland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, NM
- 1998-2005, ASEE Summer Faculty Fellow, Naval Research Lab, Wash., DC
Resulting Publications and Presentations:
- S. Lakeou, "Investigation of Deep Levels in MBE grown HgCdTe with DLTS experiments", AFOSR Publication, Summer 1993
- Colon,J.E., Lakeou, S., Bajaj,J., Arias, J.,Zandian, M.,Pasko, J.,"Study of deep levels in MBE-grown HgCdTe Photodiodes by DLTS" Proce. SPIE, 1994
- A new approach to laser direct writing active and passive mesoscopic circuit elements, D.B. Chrisey, A. Pique, R.C. Auyeng, S. Lakeou, Surface Engineering: Science and Technology I, 1999 (Book)
- Laser Direct writing of circuit elements and sensors, A. Pique, D.B. Chrisey, S. Lakeou, SPIE, Laser'99 Proceedings (3618-33) January, 1999
- A novel laser transfer process for direct writing of Electronic and sensor materials, COLA 1999 Proceedings.
- Laser Direct Writing of Phospho Screens for High-Definition Displays, J. M. Fitz-Gerald, A. Pique, D. B. Chrisey, P. D. Rack, M. Zeleznik, R. C. Y Auyeung and S. Lakeou, Applied Phys. Lett.Vol 76, N. 11, January, 2000
- Direct Writing of Electronic Materials Using a New Laser Assisted Transfer/Annealing Technique", A. Pique, J.Fitz-Gerald, D.B. Chrisey, R.C.Y. Auyeung, H.D. Wu, S. Lakeou and R.A McGill, Laser Applications Microelectronic and Optoelectronic Manufacturing V, Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 3933 (2000)
- Matrix Assisted Laser Transfer of Electronic Materials for Direct Write Applications", R.C.Y. Auyeung, H.D. Wu, R. Modi, A. Pique, J.M. Fitz-Gerald, H.D. Young, S. Lakeou, R. Chung and D.B. Chrisey, Proceedings LPM2000, Omiya, Japan
- Direct Writing of Electronic and Sensor Materials using a Laser Transfer Technique, A. Pique, D.B. Chrisey, J.M. Fitz-Gerald, R.A. McGill, R.C.Y. Auyeung, S. Lakeou, Viet Nguyen, R. Chung, M. Duignan" Journal of Materials Research, Vol.15 N.9, September 2000
- Matrix Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation Direct Write (MAPLE DW): A New Method to Rapidly Prototype Active and Passive Electronic Circuit Elements, J.M Fitz-Gerald, D.B. Chrisey, A. Pique, R.C.Y. Auyeng, R. Mohdi,, H.D. Young, H.D. Wu, S. Lakeou, and, R. Chung, Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol 625 2000 MRS
- "Average transient Current in SOI MOSFET's: A New Technique for Measuring the Transient Floating Body Effects", T. Ernst, S. Lakeou, F. Allibert, C. Perret, S. Cristoloveanu, 2000 IEEE SOI Conference, October 2000
- "Special frequency-dependent transient mechanisms in SOI MOSFETs measured by a new technique: the average transient current", T. Ernst, S. Lakeou, F. Allibert, S. Cristoloveanu, 199th Electrochemical Society Conference, March 2001
- "Laser direct-write of current collectors and interconnects for microelectronic applications" A. PiquÈ, B. Shashishekar, C. B. Arnold, B. Pratap, S. Lakeou, January 2003, Proceedings of SPIE Vol. #4977 [4977-81]
- "Laser direct-write of embedded electronic components and circuits", A. Piqué, B. Pratap, J. B. Karns, M. Kasser, M. Ollinger, H. S. Kim, R. C. Auyeung, Naval Research Lab.; S. A. Mathews, Catholic Univ. of America; S. Lakeou, Univ. of the District of Columbia; C. B. Arnold, Princeton Univ. LASE 2005 - Symposia - Photonics West 2005 [5713-35], January 2005.
IV. Publications related to academic improvements and the Center of Excellence for Renewable Energy
- S. Lakeou, "Application manual of SPICE 2G6 to electronics problems", UDC publication (1987)
- S. Lakeou, "Computer Aided Engineering: UDC's start up experience", UPCAEDM'88 sixth annual conference, proceedings p 162, Georgia Tech. (1988)
- S. Lakeou, "Implementation of CAE: a pioneer approach", UPCAEDM'89 seventh annual conference, proceedings p 275 U. of Wyoming,(1989)
- S. Lakeou, "VLSI design made easy with the CAE network at UDC", UPCAEDM'90 eighth annual conference, proceedings p.105, U. of Michigan(1990)
- S. Lakeou et al, "Binary Rate Multiplier design using the CAE network at UDC", UPCAEDM'91 ninth annual conference, proceedings p. 104, BYU, (1991)
- S. Lakeou et al, "Design of DAC/ADC controller IC", UPCAEDM'92 10th annual conference, proceedings p. 73, Tennessee Technical U. (1992)
- Lakeou S. et al, "Display Controller IC for Amharic Numerals" May 1993, IEEE Trans. on Consumer Electronics
- H. Myat, S. Lakeou, "Remote Monitoring and Control of a GPIB-Based Electronics Experiment", ASEE04, Salt Lake City, UT, June 2004
- S. Lakeou, "Flexible Prototype Board for ADC/DAC Control: application to mini-projects", ASEE05 Annual Conference Proceedings, Portland OR., June 2005
- S. Lakeou, E. Ososanya, Ben O. Latigo, W. Mahmoud, "Design of a Low-cost Solar Tracking Photo Voltaic (PV) Module and Wind Turbine Combination System", ASEE06, Chicago, IL, June 2006
- S. Lakeou et. Al. "Design of a Digital Controller for a Solar Module", 21st European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Sept 5-8, 2006, Dresden, Germany
- Design of a Digital Controller for a Solar Module", S. Lakeou, B. Latigo, E. Ososanya, G. Karanja, W. Oshumare, 21st European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Dresden, Germany, 2006
- Power System for a Zero Energy Visitor's Center, S. Lakeou, E. Ososanya, B. Latigo, 22nd European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Milan, Italy, 2007
- Design of an Experimental Power Source using Hydrogen Fuel Cells, E. Ososanya, S. Lakeou, A. Negede, K. Negede, A. Siraj, S. Beru, A. Melese, ASEE07 Annual Conference Proceedings, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2007
- Undergraduate Research in New Concept in Solar Energy Capture: Theory, Modeling, and Simulation", S. Lakeou, E. Ososanya, W. Mahmoud, F. Mbengue, A. Sirag, B. Latigo, B. Coboyo, American Association for Engineering Education Annual Conference, Pittsburg, PA, 2008
- Design And Implementation of A Virtual Web Based Power Measurement Module For A Hybrid Renewable Power System, E. Ososanya, S. Lakeou, W. Mahmoud, P. KC, L. Kemathe , A. Ukaegbu , R. Kamdem, ASEE10 Annual Conference Proceedings
- Successful Hybrid Solar and Wind Based Renewable Energy Project In Rural Ethiopia , S. Lakeou, B. Latigo, 25th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Valencia, Spain, 2010
- Survey of Renewable Energy Installations in Rural Ethiopia and Design of a Low Cost Inverter for Rural Applications, S. Lakeou, M. Mengesha, G. Gelalcha, 27th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Frankfurt Germany, 2012
- Completion of a Model, Low Cost, Novel PV Powered Water Delivery Project in Rural Ethiopia, S. Lakeou, M. Mengesha, G. Gelalcha, 27th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Frankfurt Germany, 2012
- UDC-BDU Partnership: Renewable Energy Project at Bahir Dar University, S. Lakeou, et. al., 28th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference & Exhibition, Paris, France, 2013
Honors & Membership
* Member Eta Kappa Nu Engineering Honor Society
* Academic excellence scholarship from the French government from 1970 until 1978
* Founding Member, Ethiopian Scientific Society
* Senior Member IEEE (Member # 04358248)
* Member ASEE