MAT in Secondary English Language Arts
The MAT in Secondary English Language Arts prepares teacher candidates for classrooms in grades 7-12. Coursework is held in evening hours to accommodate working professionals. Field experiences -which take place in P-12 school settings - require some daytime availability.
Foundations of Urban Education Strand:
Courses that prepare you to make a difference with diverse, high-needs learners.
- EDUC 500: Introduction to Urban Teaching (1 credit, Fall I)
- EDUC 501: Human Development, Learning, and Motivation in Classroom Context (3 credits; Fall I)
- EDUC 502: Case Studies in Effective Urban Teaching (3 credits; Fall I)
- EDUC 503: Culture, Context, and Critical Pedagogy in Urban Classrooms (3 credits; Spring I)
Content-Area Pedagogy Strand:
Courses that prepare you for the specific grade or subject you wish to teach.
- EDRD 505: Teaching Adolescent Readers (3 credits; Fall I)
- EDCI 551: Teaching Adolescent Writers (3 credits; Fall I)
- EDCI 552: Teaching through Literature (3 credits; Spring I)
Field Experiences Strand:
Courses that build the skills of effective teaching through first-hand observations and actual teaching in P-12 settings.
- EDTE 501: Practicum I: Observation in Diverse Urban Classrooms (4 credits; Spring I)
- EDTE 502: Practicum II: Student Teaching (3 credits: Summer I/Session I)
Click here for course descriptions