Page Header Image

Transfer Policies: Credit

UDC is one of the most welcoming institutions of higher learning in the Capital Region for transfer students. UDC’s transfer policies are designed to value and provide credit, wherever possible, for student’s coursework and examinations, and to make the transfer of credit as seamless as possible.

Transfer Credit Policies

The following sections provide a summary of the UDC Transfer Credit Policies.

Transfer Credit: Coursework 

  • UDC has no maximum in the number of credits allowed for transfer, but consistent with UDC’s residency policy, students—including post-baccalaureate students—can apply a maximum of 90 transfer credits towards a Bachelor degree and a maximum of 45 credits towards an Associate degree. Additional credits towards the degree must be earned in residence at UDC.
  • UDC accepts academic coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Generally, UDC does not accept vocational, developmental, independent study, internships/practicum, pass/fail, or other specialized courses that are specific to the institution in which the student is coming from (i.e. orientation or learning skills, internships, or practicum courses).
  • Transfer credit is approved only for courses passed with a minimum grade of “C” or better or a 2.0 on a 4.0 grade point average scale. Student’s GPA at UDC is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at UDC. 
  • Courses that have a co-requisite component (i.e. Natural science lecture and lab) in which the major component (i.e. Biology lecture) does not meet the grade requirement needed for transfer, the co-requisite (i.e. Biology lab) would not be eligible even if the co requisite course was completed with the grade requirement.
  • College level work given in or under the direction of an accredited college or university as part of the armed services program is accepted for credit on the same basis as other transfer work. UDC uses the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Forces to evaluate military experience and education experiences unaffiliated with accredited institutions of higher education. 
  • UDC will approve transfer credit earned at institutions of higher education outside of the U.S. and Canada that are fully recognized by the Ministry of Education, provided that such credits are earned through university-level coursework and are presented with equivalent grades of "C" or higher.
    •  All academic work completed outside of the US at the post-secondary levels must be evaluated by a member organization of NACES before UDC will evaluate the coursework for a determination of transfer credit. Please visit the NACES website for more information.
  • Candidates for a 2nd degree are exempt from the University’s General Education requirements, and can receive a maximum of 45 transfer credits towards an Associate degree or 90 credits towards a Bachelor’s degree consistent with the University’s residency policy. For such students, the Office will not perform a course-by-course evaluation of the student’s previous courses but transfer wholesale the total number of credits that students can apply to their 2nd degree up to these credit limits and excluding degree-specific credits related to student’s proposed 2nd degree. Students must meet with the Department Chair of their 2nd degree, and bring official copies of all relevant transcripts with them to this meeting, so the Chair can conduct an evaluation of degree-specific credits for approval, and advise students on the courses needed to earn their degree at UDC. Department Chairs are responsible for communicating any approved degree-specific credits to the Office’s Transfer Coordinator in a timely fashion who will then enter these degree-specific transfer credits into Banner.  Regardless of how many degree credits are approved by the Department, students must comply with the University residency policy to earn a 2nd degree.

Transfer Credit: Examinations

The following key policies govern the transfer of credit by examination for admitted students:

  • Community College students can earn a maximum of 15 credits by examination and Flagship students can earn a maximum of 30 credits combined from the following examinations:  Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DANTES), SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), and the International Baccalaureate (IB).
  • UDC uses the American Council on Education's standards and guidelines to evaluate and approve testing credits.
  • Students who seek to earn credit through examination are required to submit official exam results and/or official transcripts directly to UDC from the testing agencies.
  • Students earn credit by examination at UDC for elective credits. Students earn credits by examination towards degree requirements only if separately approved by student’s Academic Departments.  
  • Processors are required to identify for the Transfer Counselors any FTIC admitted students with transcripts that show examination credits so that the Counselors can evaluate these credits and update Banner accordingly. Counselors do not send a Credit Report to admitted FTIC students.

Transfer Credit Evaluation Reports

  • Within two-three weeks of receiving an acceptance package for admission, transfers students will receive an electronic and hard-copy Transfer Credit Report from their assigned Transfer Counselor.
  • The Office is the sole authority for approving General Education and elective credits for newly admitted students.
  • The Office provides an initial evaluation of credits towards student’s identified degree. Student’s academic Department has final authority on credits accepted for degree requirements as well as associated course equivalencies.
  • General Education credits are coded on Transfer Credit Reports with a subject code of “IGED” and the equivalent General Education course name. 
  • The Office attempts to identify course equivalencies for all courses. When an equivalent course can’t be identified,  courses are coded with a 900-999 code credit; begin with a 1-4 signifying whether the course is a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior level course (1900, 2901, etc.); and the transferring course name is included.   
  • All credits approved for transfer that do not have an IGED code or that are not part of a student’s degree program of study can be used towards meeting the University’s overall credit requirements for graduation (minimum of 120 credits).  
  • Students are strongly encouraged to contact their Transfer Counselor with any questions about their transfer evaluation as soon as possible after receiving the report, and to bring a copy of their Transfer Credit Report with them to all meetings with their academic advisor.

Transfer Credit Appeal

  • Within 21 days (3 weeks) of receiving their Transfer Credit and Examination Report, newly enrolled students who wish to appeal the evaluation of transfer credit must submit a written request to either their assigned Transfer Counselor for general education or elective credits, or directly to their Department for degree credits.
  •  As an attachment, students should include the course catalog description and syllabus or course outline (from the appropriate year) for each course in question, which if possible, should include the course’s learning outcomes.