Page Header Image
Page Header Image
Page Header Image

Application Priority Deadlines

TermUS StudentsInternational Students
FallMay 15Apr 15
SpringOct 15Sep 15
SummerApr 15Mar 15
No Graduate admissions for Summer term.*
 *The Homeland Security Graduate Program (MS) will offer summer admissions.

Program Quick View



Transfer Students

UDC enrolls hundreds of transfer students every year and makes a special effort to help transfer students feel at home at UDC. UDC's transfer policies are designed to value and provide credit for the coursework, examinations, and learning experiences of students at other institutions, and to make the transfer of credit as seamless as possible.

At the time of APPLICATION, transfer students must submit transcripts from all institutions attended.

Failure to do so may result in the denial of transfer credits. We will only review credits for transcripts received prior to your admission to UDC.   UDC will not accept requests to apply credits for which we have no transcripts prior to your admission.

Undergraduate Transfer Course Credit Policies

The following key policies govern the transfer of credit for academic coursework from other institutions for admitted undergraduate students:

  • UDC has no maximum in the number of undergraduate credits allowed for transfer, but consistent with UDC's residency policy, students can apply a maximum of 90 transfer credits towards a Bachelor degree and a maximum of 45 credits towards an Associate degree. Additional credits towards the degree must be earned in residence at UDC.
  • UDC accepts academic coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities. Generally, UDC does not accept vocational, developmental, independent study, internships/practicum, pass/fail, or other specialized course credits.
  • Transfer credit is approved only for courses passed with a minimum grade of "C" or better, or a 2.0 on a 4.0 grade point average scale. Student's GPA at UDC is calculated solely on the basis of work taken at UDC. 
  • College level work given in or under the direction of an accredited college or university as part of the armed services program is accepted for credit on the same basis as other transfer work. UDC uses the American Council on Education's Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Forces to evaluate military experience and education experiences unaffiliated with accredited institutions of higher education. 
  • UDC will approve transfer credit earned at institutions of higher education outside of the U.S. and Canada that are fully recognized by the Ministry of Education, provided that such credits are earned through university-level coursework and are presented with equivalent grades of "C" or higher.
    1.  All academic work completed outside of the US at the post-secondary levels must be evaluated by a member organization of NACES before UDC will evaluate the coursework for a determination of transfer credit. Please visit the NACES website for more information.
  • A student with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution who wishes to pursue a second baccalaureate degree at UDC is exempt from General Education requirements, and can receive a maximum of 45 transfer credits towards an Associate degree or 90 credits towards a Bachelor's degree consistent with the University's residency policy. For such students, the Office will transfer wholesale the total number of credits that students can apply to their 2nd degree up to these credit limits and excluding degree-specific credits related to student's proposed 2nd degree. New students must meet with the Department Chair of their 2nd degree, and bring official copies of all relevant transcripts with them to this meeting, so the Chair can conduct an evaluation of degree-specific credits for approval, and advise students on the courses needed to earn their degree at UDC. Regardless of how many degree credits are approved by the Department, students must comply with the University residency policy to earn a 2nd degree.

Undergraduate Transfer Examination Credit Policies

The following key policies govern the transfer of credit by examination for admitted students:

  • Community College students can earn a maximum of 15 credits by examination and Flagship undergraduate students can earn a maximum of 30 credits combined from the following examinations:  Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DANTES), SAT Subject Tests (SAT II), and the International Baccalaureate (IB).
  • UDC uses the American Council on Education's standards and guidelines to evaluate and approve testing credits.
  • Students who seek to earn credit through examination are required to submit official exam results and/or official transcripts directly to UDC from the testing agencies.
  • Students earn credit by examination at UDC for elective credits. Students earn credits by examination towards degree requirements only if separately approved by student's Academic Departments.  

Transfer Credit Evaluation Reports

Within two-three weeks of receiving an acceptance package for admission, transfers students will receive an electronic and hard-copy Transfer Credit Report from their assigned Transfer Counselor. Transfer students should the following key points about these reports:

  • The Office of Recruitment and Admissions is the sole authority for approving General Education and elective credits for newly admitted students.
  • The Office provides an initial evaluation of credits towards student's identified degree. Student's academic Department has final authority on credits accepted for degree requirements as well as associated course equivalencies.
  • General Education credits are coded on Transfer Credit Reports with a subject code of "IGED" and the equivalent General Education course name. 
  • The Office attempts to identify course equivalencies for all courses. When an equivalent course can't be identified,  courses are coded with a 900-999 code credit; begin with a 1-4 signifying whether the course is a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior level course (1900, 2901, etc.); and the transferring course name is included.   
  • All credits approved for transfer that do not have an IGED code or that are not part of a student's degree program of study can be used towards meeting the University's overall credit requirements for graduation (minimum of 120 credits).  
  • Students are strongly encouraged to contact their Transfer Counselor with any questions about their transfer evaluation as soon as possible after receiving the report, and to bring a copy of their Transfer Credit Report with them to all meetings with their academic advisor, and

Transfer Credit Appeal Process

Within 21 days (3 weeks) of receiving their Transfer Credit and Examination Report, newly enrolled students who wish to appeal the evaluation of transfer credit must submit a written request to either their assigned Transfer Counselor for general education or elective credits, or directly to their Department for degree credits. As an attachment, students should include the course catalog description and syllabus or course outline (from the appropriate year) for each course in question, which if possible, should include the course's learning outcomes.